Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Tempurature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
mattyb85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Tempurature Controller

Hey guys,

I see that most of you with keezers have a module that you splice into the wiring of the freezer itself. Now what is the advantage of using one that like over one like this one,

Amazon.com: Freezer Temperature Controller: Kitchen & Dining

This one has a double sided plug, one that plugs into the wall and one for the freezer to plug into.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

That will work just fine. Wiring into the freezer wiring itself allows for the light to continue to work. Or if you have a fridge where you want to keep the freezer portion working. But if you have a simple chest freezer and don't have any power dependent accessories, then that honeywell controller will work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Big B, I was thinking of making the wiring as simple and electrically safe as possible. I was planning on mounting a small surge protector to the back of the collar. One outlet for the temp controller plug/freezer, and also buy a small CPU power source to run the fan. I could probably add my own LED system to wire into the CPU power source but where im going to keep it there will be a light so im not worried about the interior light remaining working.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
56Firedome
Recipes 

That looks pretty cool. At $49 it beats my planned selection. A Ranco Model etc211000000 @ $119.

ETC Supply

This is the one that is 2 stage. It will control heat and cooling that way you can have the carboy in the mini fridge to control the cooling side and a heating pad wrapped around the carboy to control the heating portion. You can also buy it cheaper unwired but you will spend just as much $ buying the cords yourself. Then you have to figure out how to wire it.
So, all you need is the Mini Fridge.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

a computer power supply will be very overkill and will waste power. you may only be using 500mA (6 watts) of power for the fan, but a PC power supply will use 10-50 watts when on, even when nothing is plugged into it. just use a cellphone charger or similar. you can normally find an old 12v 1A wall wort lying around somewhere.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I think this is my answer to fermentation stability for living in TX. I was looking into building a SOF, but by the time I build one big enough to ferment (2) carboys and buy the thermostat, and all the foam... I could just pick up a cheap chest freezer on CL and buy this analog controller and be done with it! SCORE!!!
Now, off to search CL!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
a computer power supply will be very overkill and will waste power. you may only be using 500mA (6 watts) of power for the fan, but a PC power supply will use 10-50 watts when on, even when nothing is plugged into it. just use a cellphone charger or similar. you can normally find an old 12v 1A wall wort lying around somewhere.
Thanks a lot thats probably what i will end up doing. that with the plug in temp controller. Im really excited to get this project started and im going to start buying all the parts this weekend. Ive decided to go with red oak for the collar since its more readily available near me and walnut is super expensive.

Quick Reply