The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Temperature Control Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
kennyjg44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature Control Help

Hey All - this is actually my 1st post, been reading for a while. Like other's I've been motivated to build my own kegerator / fermentation chamber out of a chest freezer, which I have recently gotten. I like the way the LOVE temp. controller looks and operates, however I'm no electrician and don't seem to grasp the wiring diagrams people have been posting.

I'm seeking advice - is there any benefit to using the LOVE controller and attempting to wire it, or would something like the Ranco controller operate just as well?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Wolfy
Recipes 

If you can't grasp the wiring diagram and are not comfortable playing with mains-electricity, it's not something you should consider doing yourself. Let an expert/electrician do it, or buy a controller than comes pre-wired.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Welcome to HBT!

+1 to wolfy's suggestion - the Ranco and Johnson models come pre-wired. Northern Brewer sells the analog and digital versions, for one...The Love (Dwyer Instruments) is sexy, but does require some know-how. It's more difficult to program, as well.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
dludwig
Recipes 

Wiring a simple johnson controlller or any other similar device is not a big deal. There should be three terminals one labeled NO One labeled NC and One labeled C. Just run the hot wire from the freezer to the NO Terminal and the hot wire to the outlet to the C terminal. Stick the remote sensor in the frezzer and turn it on!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
JSomps6
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

could always try this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-build-163849/

I currently have a Ranco on my freezer and it works flawlessy. I wired it myself with no electrical experience with no problems. I did just buy that one in the above link as my freezer is in the garage and I want to be able to heat or cool at the same time so my beer doesnt freeze in February when it is -10* at night... I have not attempted the wiring of it yet though.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a Love controller and think it is great, but if your not familiar with wiring, do not do it.

chicompany.net a registered vendor here on HBT has a controller for a freezer for $39. Pretty inexpensive.

Quick Reply