Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Temperatur Controller Probes Interchangeable? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/temperatur-controller-probes-interchangeable-360137/)

Chugmaster 10-10-2012 03:36 PM

Temperatur Controller Probes Interchangeable?
I currently use the Ebay Chinese temperature controllers (the ones with the orange plastic pieces on the sides) for lagering in a chest freezer. They have just a basic temperature probe that I tape on to the side of my carboys.

I am looking to use one of these controllers in a HERMS brewing setup.

The controllers that I have now do not have a 1/4" NPT probe that I could screw into a weldless fitting.

Does anyone know if temperature probes are interchangeable? I'd rather just buy a new probe and attach it to my current temperature controller.


crane 10-10-2012 11:12 PM

Analog temp probes come in 3 flavors: thermocouple, thermistor and RTD. You cannot interchange between these as they require different circuitry to measure them. Furthermore there are different varieties of each of the three flavors. Thermocouples have a calibration letter like K, J or T. Thermistors and RTDs are specified by their resistance at 25C like a 10K thermistor or PT100 RTD. In addition to all this thermistors are non linear so not all 10K thermistors have the same curve.

So not all temp probes are interchangeable. Ou have to know what type of probe you have so that you can buy the same thing. Some controllers can use multiple types of probes by switching jumpers inside the case to change from one probe to another. If you bought a cheap Chinese controller you may not have the option to switch the probe type.

OMJ 10-10-2012 11:53 PM

You would be much better off using a pid to control a herms. Pids learn your system and will less likely to over shoot your target temp

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.