The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Temp in freezer while using a fridge to lager?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Temp in freezer while using a fridge to lager?

Hi,
Does anyone know what the temperature is (approx.) in the freezer of a fridge/freezer that is being used to lager? I was wondering if I could use the freezer as a extra "fridge".
Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Under 'normal' conditions there is about a 40 degree difference. What temp are you lagering at?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
mattd2
Recipes 

um............. is none an acceptable answer. I'm looking into getting a fridge, fridge/freezer or chest freezer to get into largering. Wanted to know what the best option to get (i.e. didn't want to get a fridge/freezer and be stuck with a useless "box"!) sound like it should still freeze stuff if largering, might start getting a bit useless if using it to keep ales fermented at a nice temperature though (might be in the ballpark of it could freeze or maybe not). Does this sound right?
What temp range is good for largering (55?)

Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Pimp Juice
Recipes 

Mine doesn't. If i go anywhere above 40 I've got a useless box. Interesting how mine works though, the coils are actually in the freezer. thermo in the fridge. The dial that controls the freezer temp opens or closes air flow to the fridge, cutting off the compressor when the fridge gets to temp. I suppose you could block that vent so it takes longer for the fridge to get to temp while the freezer is getting colder. Dunno if its worth the extra work on the compressor.

to realize this
and most often
when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than
too late.
-Bukowski

Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Interesting, isn't 40 a pretty low maximum temp for a fridge? The other design I have read about is; thermostat in the fridge with 2 coils running from 1 compressor, you set the fridge temp and the freezer is assumed to be cold. Apparentlly doesn't work to well in cold places as the fridge doesn't turn on if the ambient temp is less than the set point (for obvious reasons) so the freezer never runs and everything defrost. Confuses people as their freezer doesn't work when its really cold!

Last edited by mattd2; 01-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

37 F is the recommended temp now days. With some of the new electronic units you can pretty much have it all. Sensors in both parts and a door that will completely close to the freezer side if the freezer needs more and the fresh food section is at temp.

Quick Reply