Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Temp Controller Needs in FL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
RyeGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Temp Controller Needs in FL

Hey guys,

I've finally got a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber. Been looking at temp controllers on here and think I settled on the Johnson A19AAT-2C. My question is since this is only cooling, does anyone else in FL (I'm in Orlando) or hot weather areas find they need dual stage control to heat during the winter. Ferm chamber will be in the garage. Wondering if other FL guys have found if they need any heating capabilities at all for the month or so we actually get cold weather?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3297 Times on 2054 Posts
Likes Given: 2815

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeGuy View Post
Hey guys,

I've finally got a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber. Been looking at temp controllers on here and think I settled on the Johnson A19AAT-2C. My question is since this is only cooling, does anyone else in FL (I'm in Orlando) or hot weather areas find they need dual stage control to heat during the winter. Ferm chamber will be in the garage. Wondering if other FL guys have found if they need any heating capabilities at all for the month or so we actually get cold weather?
Yes, I use a dual stage in my garage freezer. In the winter, the temps can get below 60 in there.

You could just not brew during that time... nah, that's not an option

It's fairly easy to re-wire the A19 to heat instead of cool. I used to do that. But the dual-stage is much easier.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
RyeGuy
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. Yeah I was thinking maybe lager during that. I think I may just go dual stage though now that I think of it. Thought I could get away without it but it doesn't sound so.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
T-Dan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have been brewing for a year and a half and have not needed to heat at all. It does sometimes get a bit cool in the winter, but the temp in my garage has stayed up pretty well. Freezer/Fermentation temps have held well.

If I ever find I need to heat, I plan to put a covered light bulb in the freezer to keep the ambient temp in there a bit higher. But I have not had to do that to date.

Tap 4 - Raisin Brown Ale
On Deck - Some other DIPA

In Bottles: Maple Barleywine, Peanut Butter Porter, Strawberry Ginger Cream Ale, Sweet Ruination IPA

Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i am in Pensacola and i have never needed to warm up my fermentors. although before when i didnt have my ferm chamber i fermented in the house. guess im going to have to see what happens this winter. or should i just call it the cooler month not winter...haha

Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm in Boynton Beach, and I've never had to heat anything up. I find that the ferm chamber (if it's decently built) plus the heat from the fermentation itself will maintain a reasonable minimum temp pretty well. I don't think my garage itself ever got down below 60f all of last year.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I haven't felt the need for the heater option either. I like the versatility of the STC-1000 I use the heat control to run the fans.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
RyeGuy
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for all the info. I agree I probably don't need the heat but plan on testing it out during the winter to see. I like the fan in the heat outlet idea. I have an always hot outlet but don't want to run fans nonstop.

I decided to go with the stc 1000 as it was cheaper anyway plus I have heat capability if I need it. Testing it out now. Can't wait to get a beer in here this weekend.

image-2019908508.jpg

Quick Reply