Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Which Temp Controller (Johnson Digital or Brewer's Edge Digital)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
RBChallenger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Which Temp Controller (Johnson Digital or Brewer's Edge Digital)

Any experience with either? Do they both allow for direct plugin (ie. no wiring)? I know taht that the Brewer's Edge does, but i am leaning towards the Johnson.. assuming it does as well. Anyone that has tried either let me know your experience if you would... this and the drip tray will round out my keezer parts. Thanks!!!

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Brewers Edge is a 10A max load, the A419 is 16A... Id get the A419.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
golfnmotorcycles
Recipes 

Been running the JC A419 for over a year now. Flawless operation and yes, it comes ready to "plug and play" with the plug for the wall and the female plug for the appliance.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have the A419 Johnson and it has performed flawlessly. Both are plug and play and require no additional wiring.

FWIW, 10A is a lot. I can't imagine approaching, much less exceeding that kind of a current draw for any refrigeration unit I might be using. That would be something on the order of 1000 watts or so! I think my chest freezer is only burning about 160 watts which equates to something like less than two amps when cruising. Start up draw might be double that momentarily.

Bottom line is that either would work just fine.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
RBChallenger
Recipes 

Thanks for the info everyone, Johnson it is! Now to get this sucker built and dispensing beer (regulators are on their way as is CO2 bottle, everything else is in place).

Regards,
Rich

Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I have the A419 Johnson and it has performed flawlessly. Both are plug and play and require no additional wiring.

FWIW, 10A is a lot. I can't imagine approaching, much less exceeding that kind of a current draw for any refrigeration unit I might be using. That would be something on the order of 1000 watts or so! I think my chest freezer is only burning about 160 watts which equates to something like less than two amps when cruising. Start up draw might be double that momentarily.

Bottom line is that either would work just fine.
But if you want to use it to control your E HLT later, you will want the A419. JC makes the Brewers Edge, it just less beefy.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

Yeah, you have a point there. I was commenting in the context of using these for refer control. OTOH, a Love controller or something similar with a relay might be a better choice for any high power demands such as electric heating elements. These are not plug and play, so some electrical/electronic skill will be required. The OP was asking about a control for his keezer project. The what if's could be endless I suppose.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
RBChallenger
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, you have a point there. I was commenting in the context of using these for refer control. OTOH, a Love controller or something similar with a relay might be a better choice for any high power demands such as electric heating elements. These are not plug and play, so some electrical/electronic skill will be required. The OP was asking about a control for his keezer project. The what if's could be endless I suppose.
I ended up going with the Johnson, ordered it from Northern Brewer. Should be here Wed or so. Got a dunkelweizen and a hefewiezen that will be at the bottling point just in time to keg it is looking like. Though at this point we will be using the pull the freezer lid open and reach down and grab the faucet method if we go that route. I will have all of the required beer parts but I am just getting into building the wood surround and "bar top"

Regards,
Rich

Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

That's the one I bought also and from the same source. You won't be disappointed. Totally trouble free for more than a year now and user friendly. I think all of us have done the open the lid and picnic tap routine before using real taps. The real faucets do make a world of difference. The downside is that it becomes much too easy to draw yourself a beer! I lived in Tucson years ago. Great town! I was near the Raquet Club at the north end of Country Club.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
RBChallenger
Recipes 

Quote:
That's the one I bought also and from the same source. You won't be disappointed. Totally trouble free for more than a year now and user friendly. I think all of us have done the open the lid and picnic tap routine before using real taps. The real faucets do make a world of difference. The downside is that it becomes much too easy to draw yourself a beer! I lived in Tucson years ago. Great town! I was near the Raquet Club at the north end of Country Club.
Nice, I live on the southeast side on the north side of Rita Ranch. Nice and quiet but a bit far away from everything. On the picnic tap note... I will actually be drawing from Perlick's with 4" SS shafts and SS barbed tailpieces... hehe. I have all of the equipment ready to build by "bar", a keezer with wood surround etc. I just haven't gotten all the details roned out on the design and the like. Since I am anxiouis to try out this system I plan to hook one of the 5 faucets, regulators, hoses etc up and give it a shot without having everything in place. I figure I am getting a beer gun anyway, so if need to empty the keg I can use the fill a bottle.. drink a bottle method :P.

Regards,
Rich

Quick Reply