New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Temp Controller: Dual vs Single stage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
seannymurrs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temp Controller: Dual vs Single stage?

Planning out my fermentation chamber build, and have a question about whether to get a dual or single stage temp controller. I live in Ohio so I will definitely need both heating and cooling. What I'm trying to decide is whether to get a dual stage controller like the Ranco, or I've seen some people just use a single stage controller to control the cooling and have a lightbulb constantly on in the chamber when it's colder outside. Then I assume the lightbulb will always be raising the temp of the chamber and the freezer will just have to cycle on every so often to keep it in check. This route would obviously be cheaper, but I was wondering what the main downsides would be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have the dual stage ranco controller. I use a small heating fan on the heating side and the freezer on the cooling side. I love it, it works great. The temps aren't too extreme where I live but my house is old and has zero insulation so my garage gets like 40 in the winter and 100+ in the summer.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
billl
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd go dual stage if it fits in the budget. It is more convenient and energy efficient in the longrun. It is also more flexible and allows for more powerful heating sources to cover a wider range of temps.

I haven't tried it personally, but I think it might be pushing it to "ramp up" temps with a lightbulb if you want to start at 62 and finish at 72.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

I have the dual stage ranco and love it. Very precise control

Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't think a dual stage temp controller has to be more expensive. Search on ebay for "STC-1000". It's a dual stage temp controller that you should be able to pick up for under $25. I have three of them.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2651 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 2154

I use this dual-stage from control products. Wiring was tough (not much room in there) but it worked the first time. Programming is easy, but you've got to drag out the manual to figure it out. So far it functions perfectly, but I'd prefer something a bit simpler to use. I'm afraid I'm going to have to refer to the manual every time I want to change the temp.

I used a small $15 ceramic heater off Amazon for the hot side. Don't need that much down here in the sweltering south, but if its in my garage and it does occasionally get below 65 here. That's when we dig the jackets out of storage.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
+HopSpunge+
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 51 Posts

I have the dwyer instruments one. Its great as far as keeping everything at what temperture I want. But the directions that came with it totally sucked ballz. Took forever to figure out.

Quick Reply