*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #81
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn
Had a similar issue this morning as I did previously where my sensors stopped updating. Happened after having it unplugged for a day. The LED on the Teensy board was pretty dull, I am wondering if it was trying to process too much after reboot?

I am reloading everything again, I don't think it is the RasPi, though I am reloading that as well. When plugged the Teensy in to external power to reload, the LED was still dim... I reloaded the Teensy and it rebooted, the LED went to bright.

Is there a way to access the Teensy when I SSH into the RasPi?
I use the Teeny 3.0 D13 LED to show the status of the D8 serial flow line. When the Teensy 3.0 is interrogating the chips, it disables serial communication, and the LED goes out. Since the Teensy 3.0 spends most of its time monitoring the chips, the LED typically very dim, with intermittent flashes when processing a serial command.

To see anything on the Teensy 3.0, you'll have to plug a USB cable between your computer and the USB port on the Teensy 3.0, fire up the IDE, enable the debug defines in the .ino code, load the code into the Teensy 3.0 board, and enable the IDE's serial monitor.

The web updates are done via Javascript, you might try firing up your brower's javascript debugger, and look for problems there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #82
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
I use the Teeny 3.0 D13 LED to show the status of the D8 serial flow line. When the Teensy 3.0 is interrogating the chips, it disables serial communication, and the LED goes out. Since the Teensy 3.0 spends most of its time monitoring the chips, the LED typically very dim, with intermittent flashes when processing a serial command.

To see anything on the Teensy 3.0, you'll have to plug a USB cable between your computer and the USB port on the Teensy 3.0, fire up the IDE, enable the debug defines in the .ino code, load the code into the Teensy 3.0 board, and enable the IDE's serial monitor.

The web updates are done via Javascript, you might try firing up your brower's javascript debugger, and look for problems there.
My Teensy spends most of it's time flashing....fairly quickly.

EDIT: I still seem to only be able to get good data on 1 of the 2 sensors connected. The "bad" sensor reads 31. In reviewing the code it looks like this might be a result of the variable "raw" not having a value so in the temp conversion equation only the + 31 portion is being displayed. I have checked all cable pin orientations and have tried each sensor individually to insure they are functional.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #83
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
My Teensy spends most of it's time flashing....fairly quickly.

EDIT: I still seem to only be able to get good data on 1 of the 2 sensors connected. The "bad" sensor reads 31. In reviewing the code it looks like this might be a result of the variable "raw" not having a value so in the temp conversion equation only the + 31 portion is being displayed. I have checked all cable pin orientations and have tried each sensor individually to insure they are functional.
You may have a chip whose resolution timing is outside of the norm. Try increasing the value of tempReadDelay in the Teensy 3.0 code to a larger value, say 250. If that corrects the problem, then start reducing the value until the result again becomes unstable, then bump it up to the last usable value.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #84
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
You may have a chip whose resolution timing is outside of the norm. Try increasing the value of tempReadDelay in the Teensy 3.0 code to a larger value, say 250. If that corrects the problem, then start reducing the value until the result again becomes unstable, then bump it up to the last usable value.
Excellent, I will try that.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
On Deck:

Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #85
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn View Post
I picked up this relay board to control 3 solenoids and 3 heat pads, SainSmart 8-Channel 5V Relay Module for Arduino DSP AVR PIC ARM.
Relay came today, I hooked it up to 2 of my switches which were in an action. Everything worked great, when the switch activated, it activated the relay.

Also got COSM working with a PHP cronjob.

Waiting on my heat tape and solenoids, then going to test out the actions to see how they dial in temp, and if I may need to try out the PID library.

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 AM   #86
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Relay came today, I hooked it up to 2 of my switches which were in an action. Everything worked great, when the switch activated, it activated the relay.

Waiting on my heat tape and solenoids, then going to test out the actions to see how they dial in temp, and if I may need to try out the PID library.

I have that exact board, now I just need a few switches to put it in action

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
On Deck:

Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #87
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:

Don't forget to share the code...

Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #88
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

All sensors working!! I ended up playing around with the location of the pull up resistor. Maybe with my long connection lead I need to experiment with a different value.

In any case is working and I have dynamic DNS setup also.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions and for the outstanding work. Maybe I'll play around with those Steel Chrome gauges now

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
On Deck:

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #89
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One of the changes I did was install VSFTPD so I could FTP into the TeensyPi. This allowed me to access the htdocs easier.

I did this as root@teensypi.local, as that is the owner ove the /var/www folder. I got the instructions from here.

Code:
Type in "sudo apt-get install vsftpd" and hit Return / Enter
Now type in "sudo nano /etc/vsftpd.conf" and hit Return / Enter

Search through the file and change the following lines:
anonymous_enable=YES Change To anonymous_enable=NO
#local_enable=YES Change To local_enable=YES
#write_enable=YES Change To write_enable=YES

Also, add a line to the bottom of the file:
force_dot_files=YES

Save the file.

Now restart the FTP server with "sudo servce vsftpd restart"

Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #90
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Next was to create an account on COSM which will log the data. I followed this guide from adafruit for the most part.

Once you have an account, click the blue button to set up a feed:

Select Arduino, and name it, tag it, etc.

You will need the API Key from the code generated and your Feed ID for later.

Quick Reply