The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #351
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've decided to incorporate both thermocouple sensors, and have boards and software in the works. Stay tuned...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #352
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Default Thermocouple update

I've received the boards for the thermocouple sensor / switch combo board, and have put together three units for testing.

So far, it seems that the DS2762 may be suitable as a thermocouple sensor on a 1-wire mini-lan with a few caveats:

1. The choice of a thermocouple seems to make a difference. I've got 3 thermocouples from different sources, and the locally sourced thermocouples seem to be more reliable. One "stainless" model that I sourced from china on eBay has already developed a fine reddish patina after a day in my local water.
  2. Since we are dealing with measuring microvolt levels, induced noise is a problem. My first generation boards seem to fluctuate more than I like, so I'm doing a second generation thermocouple-only board that will include a substantial ground plane for shielding. More on that in a later post.
  3. My current software only measures down to 0 degrees C (32 degrees F). This may change in a later iteration. The values are also displayed in full degrees to conserve space.
  4. The DS2762 is only available as an SOIC-16 Surface Mount Device (SMD), so more care and better soldering equipment is necessary if assembling the board yourself. There are numerous excellent videos and webpages that outline the techniques and skills required, so I'll not repeat that here.

When I'm satisfied with the design, I'll release the Eagle files and updated software.

More as things develop.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #353
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Default Well, that takes care of that...

Maxim just announced the MAX31850 1-wire thermocouple converter. More on this after I get some samples.

UPDATE: There's currently a 17-week lead time on purchases from distributors, so it may be a while before this becomes a valid option.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #354
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am loving this. Being a HUGE fan of the various Pi projects this is especially amazing.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #355
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
Maxim just announced the MAX31850 1-wire thermocouple converter. More on this after I get some samples.

UPDATE: There's currently a 17-week lead time on purchases from distributors, so it may be a while before this becomes a valid option.
Just what the doctor ordered; sounds like it will be worth the wait!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #356
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Default 1-wire slave emulator

Just found some code here that should allow you to place almost anything that you can control on a Teensy 3.0 on the 1-wire lan.

Playing with the code as we speak...

MaverickBrew Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #357
mbrdk
Recipes 

Jim great work! I just got mine up and running and was wondering if there is a easy way to change the temp to be displayed in Celsius?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #358
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrdk View Post
Jim great work! I just got mine up and running and was wondering if there is a easy way to change the temp to be displayed in Celsius?
There's a boolean value "showCelcius" ( yeah, I know, spelling ) that can be set to "TRUE" , and then re-compile the Teensy 3.0 code, and the temp values should be set to Celsius.

I can also add code that would allow the values to be changed by the GUI, but that would be in a later release.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #359
lcat45
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Jim...been following this since day 1 and really like what's been going on so please don't take this next statement the wrong way....I'm a bit lost as to why or what you're looking for in the pursuit of new boards, hardware, and or ways to get to the end of this project if there is one....so please bring me up to date as I'm curious as to where it's going....will follow you to the end if my time and resources can hold out....again just an awesome project and one that I hope to finish...sincere regards

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #360
mbrdk
Recipes 

Thanks Jim it worked, a possibility to change it via the GUI would be nice to have even though changing the Teensy 3.0 code, recompiling and uploading took less than a minute :-)

Any plans for RTD (PT100) sensor support in the near future?

Quick Reply