Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #261
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmayhugh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 575
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fyi

What really helped solve the problem was an Open Bench Logic Sniffer . Super easy to setup, and it helped me solve the problem in less than an hour.

definitely worth the $70 I paid for the board and accessories.

jimmayhugh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #262
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmayhugh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 575
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb35 View Post
You could just as well put the boards two-up on the 10cm x 10cm boards, and get twice as many boards for the same price--you'd just need to cut them apart yourself. Looks very interesting! I may need to take the plunge...
I'm using the Eagle Light version, and can't seem to get it to panelize...
jimmayhugh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #263
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmayhugh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 575
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New Switchboard

Another one of my P.C. boards showed up, so I assembled one and tested it, works as hoped:


The board has four DS2406+ switches that can be used to control SSRs via the screw terminals, as well as an on-board transistor that I use to power some on-board LEDs, but could also be used to control a device that requires a higher voltage or up to about 100ma of current. I also remembered to include mounting holes .

Here are the Eagle Files and Gerber Files:
Eagle Files
Gerber Files

jimmayhugh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #264
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmayhugh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 575
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New Teensy 3.0 software

I've updated the Teensy 3.0 code to correct a problem I found with searching for new devices. The new revision (0.0.4) is available at my github account

jimmayhugh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #265
craigmw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Villa Park, CA
Posts: 138
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
Another one of my P.C. boards showed up, so I assembled one and tested it, works as hoped:


The board has four DS2406+ switches that can be used to control SSRs via the screw terminals, as well as an on-board transistor that I use to power some on-board LEDs, but could also be used to control a device that requires a higher voltage or up to about 100ma of current. I also remembered to include mounting holes .

Here are the Eagle Files and Gerber Files:
Eagle Files
Gerber Files
This is very slick. Could be used with an off the shelf Arduino, right? That would certainly save some digital pins for complex switching jobs. This would work great for switching relays on a sprinkler controller or similar system. I do like the simplicity of keeping much of the I/O on the 1-wire bus. Nice work!
__________________
craigmw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #266
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmayhugh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 575
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmw View Post
This is very slick. Could be used with an off the shelf Arduino, right? That would certainly save some digital pins for complex switching jobs. This would work great for switching relays on a sprinkler controller or similar system. I do like the simplicity of keeping much of the I/O on the 1-wire bus. Nice work!
Yup no problem using an Arduino, or any other system capable of 1-Wire communication
__________________
TeensyNet Networked Controller
ButtCrack Brewery
And This Is Why We Drink...
jimmayhugh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #267
danb35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 131
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
I'm using the Eagle Light version, and can't seem to get it to panelize...
Eagle light won't be able to use a 10 x 10 cm board, due to its size limit of 8 x 10 cm. What I did to panelize my boards was to do all the edits to the layout in Eagle, generate the Gerbers, and then use Gerbmerge. Here's an instructable that got me moving in that direction:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pane...le-Free-Light/

It's nice because I don't have to separately maintain the panelized board layout--just maintain the single layout, and when I'm ready to do another run, panelize the gerbers. Gerbmerge isn't especially user-friendly, but it seems to work pretty well.

You might also look into DipTrace--many people find its UI to be easier to use than Eagle, and its free version supports 4-layer boards of any size (limited to 300 pins).
__________________
danb35 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #268
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Likes Given: 2

Default Very cool

Switchboard is very intriguing. I've put some on order. Debating if I can put this and a SSR right in the element box of an eKettle and reduce the size of the physical control box drastically, perhap even eliminating it. I just finished the wiring diagram for my control box and I might have to scrap it!

Again Jim, great work.

__________________
jsbird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #269
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmayhugh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 575
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb35 View Post
Eagle light won't be able to use a 10 x 10 cm board, due to its size limit of 8 x 10 cm. What I did to panelize my boards was to do all the edits to the layout in Eagle, generate the Gerbers, and then use Gerbmerge. Here's an instructable that got me moving in that direction:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pane...le-Free-Light/

It's nice because I don't have to separately maintain the panelized board layout--just maintain the single layout, and when I'm ready to do another run, panelize the gerbers. Gerbmerge isn't especially user-friendly, but it seems to work pretty well.

You might also look into DipTrace--many people find its UI to be easier to use than Eagle, and its free version supports 4-layer boards of any size (limited to 300 pins).
I tried to install gerbmerge on my CentOS 6.4 system with no luck:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 41, in <module>
    DestDir = os.path.join(DestLib, 'gerbmerge')
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/posixpath.py", line 67, in join
    elif path == '' or path.endswith('/'):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'endswith'
Looks like DipTrace needs Wine to work, but I'll take a look at it.
__________________
TeensyNet Networked Controller
ButtCrack Brewery
And This Is Why We Drink...
jimmayhugh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #270
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmayhugh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 575
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Got the RGB LCD board back



It will handle either the standard 16-pin HD44780 LCD, or the 18-pin RGB version that Adafruit sells . It can be used with either 3v3 or 5v controllers (the display requires 5v to run), and you can run up to eight of them on an I2C bus. It will also work with 16x2 or 20x4 displays.

I've got the C library and code prototype working now, and just need to interface the MySQL logic to be able to display action or PID info locally.

Here are the Eagle and Gerber files.
__________________
TeensyNet Networked Controller
ButtCrack Brewery
And This Is Why We Drink...
jimmayhugh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arduino - Networked Temperature Monitor jimmayhugh DIY Projects 81 01-27-2013 12:22 AM
Temperature Controller sy2088 Equipment/Sanitation 3 10-25-2012 06:28 PM
Lux Temperature Controller scoots DIY Projects 9 07-06-2012 01:38 PM
temperature controller from deas fridge - use as external controller on live fridge? BrewingChemist DIY Projects 1 05-22-2012 10:21 PM
Johnson Analog Temperature Controller Temperature Profile Coastarine Equipment/Sanitation 4 10-11-2010 03:58 PM