New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #191
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Update from AZ

I have my TeensyPi running and am troubleshooting the occasional issues. I've updated with the PID software and have setup a test bed with a SSR/rice cooker so I should have some good data this weekend (need to read-up on PID tuning!). I had to search for and download the PID library file before the updated Teensy image would compile; may want to add that to the instructions for updating.

The only area I have had no success with is the COSM datafeed. Everything seems to be setup but the datafeed is empty. The onboard data logging has been hit and miss as well. I'd welcome suggestions on how to debug that. I have seen redbenn's issue where the sensors stop updating after restarting the Teensypi and can confirm that reloading the Teensy clears it up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #192
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Whoops, right you are, I forgot to include a link to the arduino pid library. I'll correct that when I get home.

UPDATE: The library is located HERE

Last edited by jimmayhugh; 03-06-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: added link to Arduino PID library

Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #193
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any thoughts on why my teensy doesnt always initialize when I boot?

It was working fine before I upgraded. I just resoldered some wires that looked like they could need it, but still no luck. Reloaded the teensy software a couple times, now no luck at all.

*edit: It now seems to initialize, as there is a solid status LED. I reloaded the original teensy software, and it works fine again. Guess I'll keep trying.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #194
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn View Post
Any thoughts on why my teensy doesnt always initialize when I boot?

It was working fine before I upgraded. I just resoldered some wires that looked like they could need it, but still no luck. Reloaded the teensy software a couple times, now no luck at all.

*edit: It now seems to initialize, as there is a solid status LED. I reloaded the original teensy software, and it works fine again. Guess I'll keep trying.
Define "initialize".

In a nutshell, the very first time that the Teensy 3.0 starts up after uploading new code, The Teensy 3.0 checks the EEPROM area. Since the code upload resets the EEPROM area, the TEENSY 3.0 does a search for chips, initializes the Chip Structure array with any chips it finds, and then uploads the Chip Structure array, the Action Structure array, and now the PID Structure array to EEPROM array. It also sets an ID value in the EEPROM that lets the Teensy 3.0 know that the EEPROM and Chip Structure array have been initialized. When you modify an Action or PID, those values are placed into the appropriate structure in the array, and the EEPROM is also updated.

If the Teensy 3.0 is then powered down and then powered back up, or reset without a subsequent upload, the Teensy 3.0 checks the EEPROM ID and, since it's initialized, loads the EEPROM data into the structure arrays. The Teensy 3.0 does not search for new chips in this situation, as a new chip may be inserted into the array at any location, which would possibly offset the naming values you put into the chipName table of the database, as well as the absolute address of the chip in the array structure.

In order to add new chips, you would use the "Scan for New Chips" funtion in the Update / Restore page, verify that the names are correct in the chipName table, and then do a Restore All.

I need to write a concise setup/modify/reload sequence to make sure that everyone is doing this the same (correct) way. I think that this may be part of the problem, and I will try to get something written this weekend.

In the meantime, the best course of action if adding new chips right now may be to re-upload the Teensy 3.0 software and start from scratch.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #195
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What I was seeing is that when I would power up the RasPi, the Teensy status light would not turn on. This happened when I first updated, I checked the wiring, and still had issues... then it just started working again (as in the LED powered up when I powered up the RasPi).

With the new PID code, when I power up, the indicator now just stays a solid orange. When I try to access the teensypi.local/index.php (or other .php file) it times out. I can access teensypi.local/head.html and phpmyadmin, so it is not a web server issue. I believe that it is unable to make a "socket connection" with the teensy, and the MakeASocket.php is causing the timeout. No matter how many times I reset the TeensyPi or reloaded the code, no changes.

When I reloaded the original TeensyPi code, the first time I powered up and the same thing, solid LED. However, when I reset, it starts flashing when the TeensyPi reloads. I can then access all the pages on the TeensyPi, and scan for new chips, name the chips, etc.

I was able to successfully load the PID code last night, but when I got home from work today, it was not accessible.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #196
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbird View Post
I have my TeensyPi running and am troubleshooting the occasional issues. I've updated with the PID software and have setup a test bed with a SSR/rice cooker so I should have some good data this weekend (need to read-up on PID tuning!). I had to search for and download the PID library file before the updated Teensy image would compile; may want to add that to the instructions for updating.

The only area I have had no success with is the COSM datafeed. Everything seems to be setup but the datafeed is empty. The onboard data logging has been hit and miss as well. I'd welcome suggestions on how to debug that. I have seen redbenn's issue where the sensors stop updating after restarting the Teensypi and can confirm that reloading the Teensy clears it up.
The COSM feed is redbenn's baby, so maybe he could chime in on that.

As for the onboard data collection, it only runs when the Action or PID is enabled. If it ran all the time, it would rack up a huge mysql database file in a fairly short period of time, and since I haven't yet provided a web page to allow the data to be removed from the database. I felt that was a prudent step to take.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #197
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm seeing the exact same thing redbenn mentioned. When I left for work this morning I shut down the Teensypi. Came back this evening and turned it on, solid bright LED light on the teensypi and data on the web interface. I could get to the page but it said something about socket error. Cycled the power with same results. Reloaded the Teensy and it booted right up with the same sensor names/settings as when I left this morning. No need to search for new chips or restore settings. Sure seems like the Teensy is having trouble restarting it's routines after a shutdown.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #198
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbird View Post

The only area I have had no success with is the COSM datafeed. Everything seems to be setup but the datafeed is empty.
If you click on the debug console in COSM does anything show up if you access teensypi.local/cosm.php in another window?

When you update the names does it create datafeeds for the new chips?

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #199
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn View Post
What I was seeing is that when I would power up the RasPi, the Teensy status light would not turn on. This happened when I first updated, I checked the wiring, and still had issues... then it just started working again (as in the LED powered up when I powered up the RasPi).

With the new PID code, when I power up, the indicator now just stays a solid orange. When I try to access the teensypi.local/index.php (or other .php file) it times out. I can access teensypi.local/head.html and phpmyadmin, so it is not a web server issue. I believe that it is unable to make a "socket connection" with the teensy, and the MakeASocket.php is causing the timeout. No matter how many times I reset the TeensyPi or reloaded the code, no changes.

When I reloaded the original TeensyPi code, the first time I powered up and the same thing, solid LED. However, when I reset, it starts flashing when the TeensyPi reloads. I can then access all the pages on the TeensyPi, and scan for new chips, name the chips, etc.

I was able to successfully load the PID code last night, but when I got home from work today, it was not accessible.
I get the solid bright LED on the Teensy with the DebugPID ino flashed. I couldn't get it to work. Back on basic Tennsy.ino now

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 03-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #200
doughaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer

Double check your pull-up resistor. Double check that you are powering the data bus with 3v3. Double check that the data bus is consistent between the sensors and switches.
I checked all my solder points and checked voltages across the buses with my multimeter.

3v3 to ground is 3.3v
5v to ground is 5v
Data to ground is around 1.1v
3v3 to data is 2.2v

My buses are consistent.

When I scan for new devices with a sensor connected the teensy led stops blinking, becomes solid and 3v3 to data voltage becomes 3.3v.

It stays 3.3v as long as the teensy led is solid even once I disconnect the sensor.

Is this a problem with my pull up resistor?

Quick Reply