Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #181
redbenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Yes, connecting to head.html works. I tried restarting the Teensy and also reflashing it but I cannot access any of the php files, only head.html
Does the status LED light up on the Teensy when the RasPi starts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #182
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn View Post
Does the status LED light up on the Teensy when the RasPi starts?
Yes, it's flickering away.

EDIT: Did a complete power off and things seem to be slowly coming back. Initially UpdateNames wasn't refreshing after submitting an name, but that seems to be cooperating now. Once I confirm everything I will store this new Raspi image then try the PID additions.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #183
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I seem to be having some router issues right now, so my posts may be a little erratic...

I just did a update / upgrade on the RPi with no ill effects.

Keep me updated.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #184
doughaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've run into an issue and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Everything is up and running more or less. I've built a bus on stripboard and connected all the switches to a relay. All 8 work flawlessly. I've connected 5 sensors which seem to work fine.

I've unfortunately never been able to connect both sensors and switches at the same time. Right now I have 8 switches wired up and the moment I connect a sensor it appears the teensy crashes. The led stops blinking and becomes solid and nothing at all is detected. I remove the sensor and restart and everything works just fine. The rpi seems to still be going about its business and the daemon seems to be running.

The only thing I can think of is could this be a current issue? I've got the whole thing running on a 1a USB to ac adapter. The kind that apple sends with iPhones/iPods.

Is 1a not enough for a raspberry pi, teensy, 5v sainsmart 8 relay module, 8 switches and 5 sensors?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #185
doughaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughaas
I've run into an issue and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Everything is up and running more or less. I've built a bus on stripboard and connected all the switches to a relay. All 8 work flawlessly. I've connected 5 sensors which seem to work fine.

I've unfortunately never been able to connect both sensors and switches at the same time. Right now I have 8 switches wired up and the moment I connect a sensor it appears the teensy crashes. The led stops blinking and becomes solid and nothing at all is detected. I remove the sensor and restart and everything works just fine. The rpi seems to still be going about its business and the daemon seems to be running.

The only thing I can think of is could this be a current issue? I've got the whole thing running on a 1a USB to ac adapter. The kind that apple sends with iPhones/iPods.

Is 1a not enough for a raspberry pi, teensy, 5v sainsmart 8 relay module, 8 switches and 5 sensors?
Answering my own question. I tested a 2a adapter with the same result.

Teensy still seems to crash once I add a sensor

Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #186
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
I seem to be having some router issues right now, so my posts may be a little erratic...

I just did a update / upgrade on the RPi with no ill effects.

Keep me updated.
What's odd w/ my setup... ever since I updated the .ino I have had issues with the Teensy not loading. The LED indicator doesn't turn on. I got it to work yesterday, but had issues again today. I am reloading again, I will update...

Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #187
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughaas View Post

I am powering my sainsmart realy with a separate 5v source. This opto-isolates the TeensyPi from the relay.

On the power input - 5v & Ground from separate source to JD-VCC & GND, and 5V from TeensyPi to VCC.

On the other inputs, 5v from TeensyPi, 8 inputs to the switches and GND from Teensy

Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #188
doughaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn

I am powering my sainsmart realy with a separate 5v source. This opto-isolates the TeensyPi from the relay.

On the power input - 5v & Ground from separate source to JD-VCC & GND, and 5V from TeensyPi to VCC.

On the other inputs, 5v from TeensyPi, 8 inputs to the switches and GND from Teensy
The relay seems to work fine off of the pi 5v.

The problem I seem to be having is that the teensy crashes whenever I tell it to scan for new devices with a sensor attached.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #189
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
The relay seems to work fine off of the pi 5v.

The problem I seem to be having is that the teensy crashes whenever I tell it to scan for new devices with a sensor attached.
Double check your pull-up resistor. Double check that you are powering the data bus with 3v3. Double check that the data bus is consistent between the sensors and switches.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #190
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

Sounds like it may be a wiring issue. Try using the TeensyPi with just the temp sensor, then add one switch/relay at a time.

I use a 5v/5a switching power supply for my project, and have had 12 temp sensors and 24 switches driving LEDs running with no problems.

I've not used mechanical relays on my setup, just SSRs, so there may be an issue. You might have to add "kickback" diodes across the relay coils to prevent induced voltages from causing problems.

Quick Reply