Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #151
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn View Post
Jimmay, any reason you didn't go for the DS2413 switches, instead of the DS2406? Are you using the memory on the chip?

They are about half the cost.

*edit, looks like they only come in a 6-TSOC surface mount vs the TO-92 of the DS2406.
You answered your own question

I'm trying to keep every thing through-hole mountable so that the average person can put it together with minimal tools and experience.

I did buy some TSOC-6 to DIP-6 adapters from epBoard.com to try them out, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #152
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbird View Post
Looks great redbenn! I've been looking through the posts and I haven't seem where you describe your intended application. From my uneducated perspective it looks like you are using the relays to drive for valve solenoids for gas burners and liquid flow; outlets are driving pumps, correct? Do you have an existing setup or are you building the controller first?

I ask as I'm planning an all electric setup (electrician is coming this weekend to help me decide 120 vs 240) and I'm extremely jealous that you are able to use the relay board... I thought your box was generously sized but now that I see your layout, I think I'm way underestimating how big my enclosure will be. I'm planning to lay it out in Sketchup first but have been looking at what's available for planning/budget purposes.

I'm assuming there's no reason the teensypi and the interface you are designing (which is very cool by the way) wouldn't work in an all electric setup with 40a SSRs, contactors, etc... I'm hoping to build the panel to allow full manual as well as minimally automated operation/data logging to start which will increase the enclosure size even more.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
As a matter of fact, I've just wired up 4 25A SSRs in a 4-gang electrical box with 4 DS2406+ switches on a small PC board I made, and am getting ready to run some tests using small containers of water, and immersible heaters.

Stay tuned...

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #153
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Another noobie question; Does the fact that Jim isn't planning to use the COSM capabilility mean that he will have a different user interface than Redbennss coding or are the two of you just posting your logging/reports data in different location (local vs. cloud)?
Correct. You could actually add both, run them side-by-side, and compare the results.

That's the great thing about open hardware/software, all of the tools are there to allow you to do whatever you are capable of doing.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #154
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
As a matter of fact, I've just wired up 4 25A SSRs in a 4-gang electrical box with 4 DS2406+ switches on a small PC board I made, and am getting ready to run some tests using small containers of water, and immersible heaters.

Stay tuned...
Now you're talking! Pictures please.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #155
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn View Post
First use will be for fermentation temp control. Going to modify a window AC unit to chill a glycol bath that will pump to 3 stainless coils in my fermentors. The TeensyPi will control the solenoids.

I previously built Kal's electric brewery which has worked out great. I actually started thinking this morning how to integrate that system with the TeensyPi, as I agree it shouldn't be too difficult to control HLT, MLT, and Boil with the TeensyPi. I want to do more testing with the PID library to see if I can get more precise/efficient control of temps.

If I had to drive larger SSRs for heating elements, I would have got a larger enclosure. I am thinking of building a separate enclosure for the brewhouse that could connect into this main box, since I would only need a few more switches and temp probes, but would like the ability to have mechanical switches as well for manual control.

I'm trying to start small and build a piece at a time but I'm fighting with creeping elegance and keeping enough flexibility to do stuff I may do someday (or not). Initial use will be for temp control of an eKettle and then for a recirculating eBIAB system. Next would be two vessel Brutus 20 and eventually a 3 vessel setup. That's the attraction of the TeensyPi to me is I can adapt it as I go, learn some skills and not outgrow the hardware. Problem is I'm so busy contingency planning that I'm not building anything!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #156
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Finally got everything wired up last night. Was able to use the relays to turn a light on and off remotely. Decided with the limited bottom panel space to run wire out to an 8 outlet junction box.

Also ordered parts to build a secondary control panel, that I am hoping to use in my Kal Clone setup, replacing the PIDs with the TeensyPi, and having the 1-wire and manual switches, with a manual override switch to control pumps manually if needed.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #157
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Good work!!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #158
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Second the kudos redbenn!

I'm working under the assumption I can substitute the Teensypi for the BCS in the attached PJ-generated wiring diagram. Any concerns/issues? I'll use a 5V power supply similar to the one Jim suggested.

kenneth-bcs-460-wiring-2-4a.jpg  

Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #159
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Second the kudos redbenn!

I'm working under the assumption I can substitute the Teensypi for the BCS in the attached PJ-generated wiring diagram. Any concerns/issues? I'll use a 5V power supply similar to the one Jim suggested.
Is there a higher resolution image available? My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Nevermind, I found a better image.

The control side of the two designs are opposite.

The BCS outputs source 5V at up to 20 ma. the DS2406+ sinks up to 5v at about 30 ma.

The difference is in the wiring of the SSRs and switches.

The BCS outputs are connected to the positive input of the SSR and the negative input is connected directly to ground.

The TeensyPi DS2406+ is wired with the output of the ds2406+ wired to the negative side of the SSR and the positive side wired directly to 5v.

If you wanted a manual/auto switch inserted, it would be on the ground/negative side with the TeensyPi.

A very basic diagram is here.

The AC side would be unchanged.

That is probably not the wiring diagram you want to use.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #160
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Bad news is I'm dumber than I thought I was; good news is that I don't have to go buy new components! I'll draw my own plan with those changes in mind and run it by you.

I have the last of the Teensypi elements ordered so I think this will click better once I have a test setup to play with. I have the Fortek SSRs to test as well so I should know in the next week if I've got the skills to do this. I got the RPi to boot and access the web so I'm on my way! Look forward to hearing the results of your water/heater tests as I'm anxious to see data on the responsiveness of the sensors and need for PID code.

Quick Reply