LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default tap handles

Going to make some wood tap handles this week. Unfortunately I'm away from my kegerator. Could anyone give my a rough diameter of the top of the faucet so I don't make these too wide.
At the parents for the week, and my dad has a lathe, which should be able to turn out some nice handles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I just check mine with a micrometer and they are .7 ,thats a regular faucet , the perlicks are .650.

Hope this helps

Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
autoferret
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

norther brew sells tap handle treads. http://www.northernbrewer.com/tap-handles.html
bottem of the page

Primary: Local Honey Mead;
Secondary: Merlot;
Keg: "Experimental" American Ale; Kinda Nutty Brown Ale;
Bottled: "Oatie the Oatmeal Stout"; NB Saison; "666" by request; NB 115th Dream hopbursted;EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Coming: Imperial Oatmeal Stout; House IPA

Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
kniles38
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoferret
norther brew sells tap handle treads. http://www.northernbrewer.com/tap-handles.html
bottem of the page
AHBS carries them as well.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Figured I'd post a pic of the 2 I turned the other day. They aren't stained yet nor do they have the thread inserts in them either, but they're done for the most part.

The one on the right took a bit more time as it was the first time I'd used a lathe in like 3 years and it's a little more complicated design. Also, the wood it oak... guessing it's age at 75+ years and is damn hard. The table saw bogged a bit cutting it. The wood used was off an oak table that was burned in a house fire, but my dad being the scavenger he is took the table as it was an antique. So I took a leg from it and made the 2 handles. He suggested I use the leg of a chair from the same fire that was made of 100% Brazilian rosewood, but I couldn't jusify using that beautiful wood dating to the 1800's (not to mention pricey) for a tap handle.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
He suggested I use the leg of a chair from the same fire that was made of 100% Brazilian rosewood, but I couldn't jusify using that beautiful wood dating to the 1800's (not to mention pricey) for a tap handle.

I can't think of a better tribute to the life of a tree.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

really, I mean that wood today, if you bought a 4x4x12" piece would be like $50 I want him to use it some something for himself, after all he saved the thing.

Last edited by z987k; 01-03-2008 at 06:07 AM.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
really, I mean that wood today, if you bought a 4x4x12" piece would be like $50 I want him to use it some something for himself, after all he saved the thing.
Still.... Oak in the great scheme of things is just a step or 2 above undesierable. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE quarter sawn oak. Don't see very much of it nowdays though and your tap handles are VERY SEXY!!! (I like the one on the left) I do like oak, but rosewood.... man, the grain in that wood is quite unique and out of this world!!! Another material I would love to see in a tap handle is honduras mohogany... Can't get it anymore. Very elegant! Have to use a very light stain on that one to see the grain though. of course I would hate to see a beer lable stuck to the outside of the handle and hide the natural beauty of the grain. Maybe drill a hole in the top and add something as astheticly pleasing as the wood itself to describe what exactly is on tap? Great work!!! and in the immortal words of Winston Zeddemore (ghostbusters)"Ray. If someone asks if you are a god... (long pause) ...YOU SAY YES!!!!!!!!!!"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
The one on the right took a bit more time as it was the first time I'd used a lathe in like 3 years and it's a little more complicated design.
The one on the left looks more complicated - did you really mean the one on the right?

They look great!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OK, now I am jealous. I have been wanting to get some time in on the lathe to make some handles, but never seem to get around to it. I have a brother in law who works for a mill that manufacturers things like high end moldings, etc., so he gets me TONS of the coolest stock. It is all "scrap" material that they throw into a chipper and have hauled away.

One day he showed up with the trunk of his car loaded up with 1/4" thick, 6" wide planks of hickory. The average one is about 6" long, and most of them have some cupping to them, which is why they were cut off the ends of the longer runs. Cupping does not matter when you are soaking them down and throwing them on the grill

Last Christmas we were turning pens out of Brazilian rosewood and some beautiful maple. The rosewood was 1" thick stock that was about 6" wide, and averaged about 8" long. They had been doing a huge run of molding, and based upon the normal cuts, it left 8-10" at the end of each board that was not "useable" for anything else that they needed. I have a TON of walnut in my basement that is the same dimensions. Most people would cry at the stuff that we use for firewood.

I guess I need to get off my butt and fire up the lathe.

Quick Reply