Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Switching power between elements/PIDs possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Rhino17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Switching power between elements/PIDs possible?

Hi All,

I am in the planning stages of converting my direct fire rig to an electric HERMS. Although I would love to run a 240v element in both my HLT and kettle at the same time, currently it's not an option.

My plan is 4500w 240v in boil kettle and 2500w 240v in HLT. I will heat my strike water in the BK, and then move to the HLT. Both elements will be controlled via PID and 40a SSRs. I would like to have a switch on my control panel that allows me to switch power between the 2 sides of my rig (from HLT to BK). This will allow me to operate on a 30a circuit. Later down the road, when my wiring is upgraded, I would be able to remove the switch, and power both sides at the same time.

Since the amp draw of the 4500w is 19a, could I use a 30a DPDT switch? Is a DPDT the correct way to go, or is there any other way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Rhino

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Both elements will be controlled via PID and 40a SSRs. I would like to have a switch on my control panel that allows me to switch power between the 2 sides of my rig (from HLT to BK). This will
The no cost option:
Put one of the temp controllers in the no run mode or off, depending on brand and model.

My edit.
Option two:
Install a 3-position selector switch between the PID out and the SSR.
Position 1, left = PID #1
Position 2, center = Both PID's
Position 3, right = PID #2
No high current selector switch required.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Last edited by ClaudiusB; 03-17-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My control box has a dryer outlet and each of my elements has a dryer cord attached. When I want to use the HLT (the one that has the temp probe in it) I plug that in. When I'm done heating strike/sparge water I plug in the boil kettle and use the manual control.

I have a 30 amp switch on the box to turn off the current when I switch cords for extra safety.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Wait, if you never plan to have both energized at the same time, why would you waste the money on two controllers and SSRs? Operate a 3PDT switch on the elements themselves and the two temp probes. With one throw of the switch, all the associated electrics including the temp probes will be switched from the BK to the HLT.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Operate a 3PDT switch on the elements themselves and the two temp probes. With one throw of the switch, all the associated electrics including the temp probes will be switched from the BK to the HLT.
If he uses thermocouple probes the switch contacts should be made with thermocouple-grade calibration alloys.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Wow, they're really that sensitive huh.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
If he uses thermocouple probes the switch contacts should be made with thermocouple-grade calibration alloys.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
That is exactly correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Wow, they're really that sensitive huh.
Yes, they are. That is why I would shy away from using thermocouples if possible. They can be a real pain in the tush.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Yup, they are. Thermocouples are comprised of two different materials joined at one end and separated at the other. The separated ends are considered the output, and they generate voltage which is proportional to the heat they are measuring or monitoring. That is, the hotter the temperature, the higher the voltage. The fact that two metals generate voltage is known as the Seebeck effect. The voltage they generate is very small, usually milivolts. If you were to connect the output leads of the thermocouple to a switch, the switch would have to have contacts made of the same material as the thermocouple, otherwise the two dissimilar metals of the switch and the thermocouple leads would make another thermocouple and skew the output of your measurement thermocouple. PID's and thermometer are calibrated for specific thermocouples. If you were to intoduce another thermocouple by intoducing a switch of dissimilar metal the calibration of your PID or thermometer is comprimised. It's readings would not be accurate any longer. However, there is such a thing as a special thermocouple switch but they seem to be costly. I have seen a couple of thermocouple switches on Ebay for under $100 recently.

Guy

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 03-17-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You don't need a probe in the boil kettle, though I suppose it would be nice. I didn't switch between two thermocouples because I did figure that putting a switch in line would screw up it reading the temp right.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, Conpewter - You have a single PID+TC in the HLT, controlling a SSR, then when you switch to the boil, you just choose a different SSR (or plug for manual control) and set the PID to manual...?

I think that is doable. I know that the PID has to have the TC to have the circuit complete.

Quick Reply