SuperiorBrew's DITCHES

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

Here is the newest build I am working on. This is for HBT member SuperiorBrew who owns Bitter Creek Homebrew and Supply in Slinger Wisconsin.

System operation of DITCHES (Dual Immersion Thermal Coil Heat Exchange System):
Hard_DITCHES.gif

The design is fully hard plumbed and stainless. It includes 13 manually controlled valves and an easy workflow IMO. Capabilities include:

direct fired mash with temp control
HERMS with temp control
immersion mash
decoction mash
batch/fly/no-sparge sparging
full boil up to 15g
DITCHES cooling system using both coils

Stand Layout:
Hard_Plumbed_DITCHES_-_parts_list.bmp

HLT layout:
HLT.bmp

MLT layout:
MLT.bmp

BK layout:
BK.bmp

The burners will be 23-tip ring burners operating on low pressure propane.

Ignition is direct spark controlled manually or via LOVE controller.

Electrical schematic:
Wiring_DITCHES.bmp

I will save a bunch of posts for build pics, testing, and the first couple batches.

Cheers!

:mug:

Auto-fired burners:

CIMG4509.JPG

CIMG4507.JPG

The Asco valves are rated for gas use and are controlled by the Honeywell direct spark modules in the box. The pilot light includes a burner pilot (off the tee) and a spark plug/flame sensor. The spark cables are wrapped in Fire proof PET and the plug boots have spark plug wraps to protect from heat (red).

Heat exchanger coil done for the HLT.

CIMG4333.JPG

CIMG4332.JPG

CIMG4329.JPG

CIMG4328.JPG

CIMG4327.JPG

Interior of the BK, including HopBlocker.

CIMG4513.JPG

CIMG4515.JPG

CIMG4505.JPG

Here is a rear view of the conduit in progress and the spark cables. The Spark cables are mounted on standoffs to avoid metal contact.

CIMG4506.JPG

CIMG4517.JPG

I know there is some surface rust on the stainless, but I figure some BKF at the end of construction should fix that...

Manifold layout for the pumps. The connections will all point backward, I just have to rotate the end cap pieces.

CIMG4518.JPG

The temp sensors:

CIMG4510.JPG

And how the fit into the inline thermowells:

CIMG4511.JPG

CIMG4512.JPG

Shwing!

I am confident you will be thrilled.

Do you want a logo or something on the bottom half of the control panel? Maybe a system schematic for quick setup reference???

Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, most of the cool ideas are not mine. I think the only thing I came up with (and I am sure someone did it before me) was the dual coil arrangement. Otherwise it is just creative application of other ideas.

For the development of DITCHES, click the "DITCHES I" link in my sig.

As with anything I build, I keep detailed spreadsheets for everything. If anyone wants my workbook, just PM me your email address and I will send it over.

That wire ducting just makes these installs so slick and pro-looking! I love it.

BTW. NEMA 4x enclosures have an 1/8" Stainless front cover... it took about 7 dremel cutoff wheels to cut those controller openings and I think I need to sharpen my step bits. Drilling kettles is a trip compared to that thing. Yikes!

All connectors on this thing are NEMA 4 rated, so the box is fully washdown ready.

That big enclosure was $35 plus $12 shipping off eBay, got lucky he had it listed funny and no one found it.

I don't think anyone would spend that kind of money for an enclosure for a brew rig unless they had an actual brewery. But I knew that it was dam cheap when I found it.

Wow, looks awesome. Can't wait to see some finished pics and see how testing goes. Do you mind saying what it's projected to cost all in?

I honestly have no clue, I have been collecting parts for close to 3 years. I know the stand was the first thing I did, a friend who is a welder got me the stainless cheap and welded it for free & the stainless enclosure was cheap but that's where the cheap part ended :)

That's awesome! I think it looks like a great system. I love my HERMS. The only thing I didn't like was using ice for the HEX. I mean, I wanted a pump so I wouldn't have to do any lifting, and then putting 40 pounds of ice in the HLT for the HEX defeated the purpose. So I added a CFC, and now it's perfect!

I would love to see this system in action. Nice job!

Man that's a nice looking setup. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

I think Rich plans to use it at his store in Slinger sometimes. You will have to stop by when that time comes.

I just want to be at home working on this... it makes it hard to be at work, do dishes, mow the lawn, etc.

Gar... more time needs I.

Really don't want to thread gank, so I'm only doing this by request.. but I have just completed a DITCHES build all electric. It is an amazing system, total props to BK! I got pics of the first brew day on it and will make a thread for it later tonight. Here's it cleaned, then while chilling:

systematrest.jpg

configurationduringchilling.jpg

I just want to be at home working on this... it makes it hard to be at work, do dishes, mow the lawn, etc.

This is so the worst part about having a winter project run long. Spending the past three weekends weeding, raking and doing other outside work needed in the spring has about killed me because all I want to do is work on my system.

I think Rich plans to use it at his store in Slinger sometimes. You will have to stop by when that time comes.

Whenever you do plan to fire this baby up for the first time at the store please let me know. I think I'd make the short drive to see this baby in action.

Go big or go home. This thing takes the SS to the extreme. The only non-SS parts are the two pump heads, and the autosparge.

I think the hard plumbing is going to be awesome. I can't wait to use it.

Where do you buy your stainless from. Also, what is that fitting that looks like a clamp? It looks like it's the connection point between the chiller and the pot bulkhead connector.

Considering everything is stainless that is a pretty big question :D

buyfittingsonline.com
homebrewershardware.com
greatbargain.net
Mcmaster.com
klgstainless.com
MoreBeer.com
Northernbrewer.com
Midwestsupplies.com
local

The fittings are called tri-clover or tri-clamp fittings. They are industry standard for brewing, milk, etc.

Updated!!!

Whoo hoo. Makin' some goo progress again.

The spark cable assemblies look soooo nice. The camera flash kind of screws with the look but the wraps are black and look very nice.

I can't wait to finish up the conduit.

Latest posts

Back