New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #491
sebring96hbg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousbrew View Post
whis121 - can you give us a measurement from the lowest plastic point to the lowest point of your yeast catcher?

I'm using a different stand, and I'm interested if it would fit as is.

granted the yeast catcher is more than 2x the cost of the tank itself - but dangit, that thing is just too damn cool to not at least think about it!

great job!

I made a yeast catcher out of PVC as shown in this thread. It fits to the conical via an NPT to triclover adapter and has a volume of one quart.

I do 11.25 gallon batches to fill a firkin. Using S-04 yeast, I collect about 1.75 quarts per batch. I save the middle layer which is collected from the droppings of the butterfly valve and from the neck of the yeast catcher from the first yeast dump.

If the sight glass form factor is a must, it would be cheaper to copy this....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-conical-set-up-what-do-you-think-279614/index2.html#post3480471

A 16.5" length of 1.5" diameter tubing would have a volume of 16 ounces.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #492
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

yeah, i've made the PVC thats right at a qt - but i really like the TC approach. think it could give a lot of flexibility and a lot less worry about sanitation.

PVC for now - conical should arrive today - big brew night on friday.

If it works, i'll post up picks of the stand i found/made.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #493
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

Conical arrived last night - squeezed it into the gutted fridge.

Had an old fridge that used to be my kegerator and part time fermentation chamber. It's been replaced with a keezer. So I gutted it to see if I could fit the conical in. With some mods (removed freezer/fridge divider, coil shroud and moved the stat and fan) I can squeeze the conical in.

The stand is a patio table from garden ridge for $20 and I needed to extend the legs for my fittings - 1in sch40 and we're in business. Popped the glass out of the table and it is the perfect size for the tank.

I'll pretty it up a bit later, but tomorrow it'll have it's first brew in it!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #494
sebring96hbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Conical arrived last night - squeezed it into the gutted fridge.

Had an old fridge that used to be my kegerator and part time fermentation chamber. It's been replaced with a keezer. So I gutted it to see if I could fit the conical in. With some mods (removed freezer/fridge divider, coil shroud and moved the stat and fan) I can squeeze the conical in.

The stand is a patio table from garden ridge for $20 and I needed to extend the legs for my fittings - 1in sch40 and we're in business. Popped the glass out of the table and it is the perfect size for the tank.

I'll pretty it up a bit later, but tomorrow it'll have it's first brew in it!

Nice idea!

I found a link for what appears to be the same table.

http://www.wayfair.com/Atlantic-Outdoor-18-Glass-End-Table-50102-TNR1231.html?refid=FR49-TNR1231

Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #495
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Just recieved my conical yesterday, using it for Friday brewday

Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #496
JerseyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Brewing our 4th batch using this conical this weekend. My process is to ferment, rinse with hot water, soak with PBW for at least 24 hours, rinse again and fill with Starsans to sanitize (I reuse the PBW and Starsans for kegs and other brew days as much as possible). Scrubby never touches the tank...

I bought the plastic conical largely for economic reasons - by my calculations I can buy ~2 1/2 replacements before I spent the same thing on stainless! Based on the my process, how long do you think I'll be able to use the same fermenter until my first infection(I'm assuming that the probability increases as the plastic ages and cracks appear creating new bug condos)? Any suggestions for improving my process?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #497
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
whis121 - can you give us a measurement from the lowest plastic point to the lowest point of your yeast catcher?

granted the yeast catcher is more than 2x the cost of the tank itself - but dangit, that thing is just too damn cool to not at least think about it!

great job!
Sorry I have been away a while, had training at work so haven't signed on. Haha. I'll take the measurements tonight and post it. I also recently put casters on it and the only heavy thing I have had to pick up lately is the keg or a carboy to cold crash, if needed.

BTW I have to say good find on table, anonymousbrew. I searched for a while and just said screw it and went with the stand from RuralKing.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #498
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

just bought a CIP spray ball and a long thermowell from brewershardware. I'm planning on sealing the lid with weather stripping as shown in this thread as soon as the Kolsch is racked to keg.

looking forward to running some hot oxy through the spray ball and being able to control based on the internal liquid temp vs extrapolating off of ambient inside the fridge. I'll post up pics of the sealed lid with thermowell and sprayball when done.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #499
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

great job!
Sorry the picture isn't that great but I took it as I was leaving to go to work and didn't check it after I took it. At a glance it looked ok so I left. From the ground up to the bottom of the sight glass is 7" then it is another 10" to the bottom plastic of the conical. Total space from the ground to the bottom plastic is 17". You can see one of the casters in the picture which is something I would suggest to anyone who has a conical to get if your setup allows mobility.

P.S. I absolutely love the TriClover fittings. They make everything soooo easy.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #500
Tzarmek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey everybody,

I just got the conical and I am trying to figure out how to set it up. I planned on getting SS fittings for the bottom as there were concerns about byproducts from the conical before it was determined to be safe. I notice however, that quite a few of you use PVC instead. Do you notice anything "off" from using pvc?

Also how do you run your ferments? After a lot of digging through the threads I have noticed someone say to just leave the valve open during fermentation(makes sense that the trub would just collect in the catch) and other people say they do a dump at such and such times.

So is it best to let the valve stay open and then close it after X amount of time or to leave it closed then dump and air bubble?

Quick Reply