Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #201
calicojack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
http://*****************.com/library...enter-plastic/

Don't know WTF is going on, but all those stars actually say "brewers round table" without space between the words. Hilarious that those three words are filtered! I assume HBT has beef with BR.

BTW, the instructions are backwards, i.e., it shows part 3, then part 2, then part 1.

I hope this helps!
that site is whacked. none of their links work properly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #202
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
i plan on installing a racking arm in my conical. This is what i'm planning to use to breech the wall with :

my question is. if i want to join a 1 1/2" ball valve to it, what do i need to do it? The through wall fitting should be an ID of 1 1/2"? and then use a all thread nipple to join the two?
1 1/2" racking port is pretty big.... I'm using a 1/2" bulkhead fitting with 1/2" pipe and a 1/2" ball valve. Flows plenty fast. I'm thinking with 1 1/2" you're going to create turbulence in the conical and rack a lot of yeast. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #203
calicojack
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i posted that half asleep. if you'll notice further down the post everything got switched over to 3/4". having trouble sourcing 1/2"....

Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #204
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 84

The designs of my conical stand and my fermentation chamber went hand-in-hand. Because the stand is fairly short, I can't fit so much of a "vertical" yeast catcher as everyone else has, so I designed a more "horizontal" one.

The ball valve is 1". Below the ball valve, the diameter goes from 1" to 2", then to a 2"x3"x3" tee with cleanout adapters on both sides and cleanout plugs screwed into the adapters.

I welcome any questions, comments, suggestions, criticism, etc.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #205
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
The designs of my conical stand and my fermentation chamber went hand-in-hand. Because the stand is fairly short, I can't fit so much of a "vertical" yeast catcher as everyone else has, so I designed a more "horizontal" one.

The ball valve is 1". Below the ball valve, the diameter goes from 1" to 2", then to a 2"x3"x3" tee with cleanout adapters on both sides and cleanout plugs screwed into the adapters.

I welcome any questions, comments, suggestions, criticism, etc.
A few thoughts:
1) Be very careful when moving it, due to the 3-leg design, small wheels and being top heavy. I'm thinking it's going to be a bit tippy.
2) Are you going to add a racking port?
3) The yeast catcher looks cool but all you really need is a pint or quart jar to catch the yeast after you've racked the beer off. There will be plenty of yeast on the sides of the conical. That's all I do with mine. Just set a jar on an upside down pail and catch the thick slurry until the jar is full. Easy Peasy.

Cheers, and happy brewing.

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #206
allclene
Beer, What a beautiful thing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tried that link to the pressure conversion and its wacked can see the third part but not the first 2 anyone have any thaughts on sealing this thing airtight. id feel much happier with an airlock etc. To insure beer is isolated from outside air cause i plan on using it to the end of fermenting all the way to kegging and maybe even under pressure during whole process. hopefully my conical should be waiting for me when i get of work today wont have a chance to go over it close until then.

My Automated Rig Forum: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-...-input-348808/

Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #207
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 444

Pretty cool, I may look into this further

Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #208
sgoncalves
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allclene View Post
Tried that link to the pressure conversion and its wacked can see the third part but not the first 2 anyone have any thaughts on sealing this thing airtight. id feel much happier with an airlock etc. To insure beer is isolated from outside air cause i plan on using it to the end of fermenting all the way to kegging and maybe even under pressure during whole process. hopefully my conical should be waiting for me when i get of work today wont have a chance to go over it close until then.
I'm wondering looking at mine if the problem with the air tight seal is not that actual lid but the black piece that the lid screws into and where it attaches to the tank. I would think the way it screws in pretty tight that should seal but I do notice where the black ring and the tank meets there are some small gaps that could make it not air tight. Wonder if we could use some kind of silicone around that ring to seal it, any thoughts.
img_0671.jpg

Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #209
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I took the whole lid assembly off and caulked between the tank and then screwed it back on letting it seal. The lid threads would still leak. I haven't made mine air tight yet.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #210
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not sealing mine-I think there is very little chance of stray yeast making it into the conical through the lid assembly.

Quick Reply