Stirplate build......voltage question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcMonk

Reaction score
I am building a stirplate in the likes of the cheap and easy stirplate idea that was posted by Anthony Lopez started a few years ago.
I have a 6v 700milli amp wall plug (this configuration runs at 4.2 watts)?, using a 25 ohm 3 watt pot to control the speed of my 12v computer fan.
What size resistor do I need to put in place to get the "power" running at 3 watts into the pot? Basically I need to drop from 4.2 watts to 3 watts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TONY

Not sure why what you have won't work w/o mods. I've hooked up a 12v, 9v, and currently 4v cell phone charger to my fan and they've all worked fine. I used the same directions I think and the adjuster knob (I can't remember what its called) works great for regulating the speed.

I am just worried that the extra power will heat up the pot maybe short it out. Is this not right? I do not know that much about electricity and circuits ect.

Thanks

PS everything works great otherwise.......

The .7 amps is the max the wall pug will supply,b ut not neccesarly what the circuit will draw. What's the wattage on the fan? 3 or less watts and you should be fine. You can also build it, and put your multimeter in series to check the running amps. More than .5 amps & you could have issues with the pot.
Regards ,Jeff

That would be a BIG fan. Something is likely off on your numbers. I'm with passedpawn: the pot is OK. Do you have a multimeter? If so I would just build it and double check the power afterwards.

I am building a stirplate in the likes of the cheap and easy stirplate idea that was posted by Anthony Lopez started a few years ago.
I have a 6v 700milli amp wall plug (this configuration runs at 4.2 watts)?, using a 25 ohm 3 watt pot to control the speed of my 12v computer fan.
What size resistor do I need to put in place to get the "power" running at 3 watts into the pot? Basically I need to drop from 4.2 watts to 3 watts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TONY

If you used a 25 ohm 3 watt potentiometer you have nothing to worry about. You don't "drop" power in an electric circuit. The fan should be connected to the wiper arm of the potentiometer on end of the potentiometer shoul be connected to the "+" side of your power source the other end should be connected to the "-". If you have nothing connected to the wiper arm the potentiometer would dissipate about 1.4watts. To calculate the power needed by the circuit, say at midpoint on the potentiometer you are using 12.5 ohms on the potentiometer in series with the internal resistance of the fan (about 15 ohms). The total resistance would be about 27 ohms at midpoint so Power= Voltage squared/Resistance, then 36/25=1.3 watts. Even with the potentiometer dead ended to one side (only the fan in the circuit) your maximum power requirement is 2.4 watts. Kapish?

Guy
Thanks for the information (all).
A few questions, which arm is the wiper arm, the middle? Also pictures from the said post has just the red (+) wire from switch/power running to the pot, the red (+) wire from the fan on the middle (wiper arm), then black (-)/ground wire back from the fan to the power/switch to complete the circuit. Is this correct ?

Thanks for your patience for a noob. :)

my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252

P1010510.JPG

Back