Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Still alive - just tackling a HUGE DIY

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #91
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So a little more progress - starting to run the in floor heat pipe:

Day 1 - first loop run

Day 2 - second loop run

It's been incredibly slow, painful, and tedious. It should have been a one day project, but when they blew insulation above, they didn't tarp, and now the entire floor, including the grooves for the tubing, are blanketed with a thin layer of foam. Tried solvents, dremel buffers, and sandpaper, and so far only sandpaper really works. So it's hands and knees drudgery getting this job done. Displeased.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #92
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Radiant floor heat. Nice! Last year we renovated a bathroom and use that same system (a little tighter pattern) throughout, including the shower. Cheap a$$ me didn't want to spend the extra cash, but wife talked me into it. Got to say, it's great having a warm floor on a cold winter morning.

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #93
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Looking Good!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #94
ToV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looking good. I would have loved to have been there just to learn. Oh well.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #95
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4692 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Surprising how simple much of this stuff really is, isn't it Jester?

It's not so much that the work is all that technical, it's just that there is a LOT of work to do, some materials are quite awkward to maneuver or are just fecking heavy after about the third or fourth lift/laydown (only 1,238 pieces left to go!), and working conditions aren't necessarilly all that favorable until you are dried in and have some way to heat or dehumidify.

Still, nice job. Best part is the pride you can claim saying "Yeah, I did that." Even if you don't ever verbalize it.

They say you finally have the house you really want, after you've built the third one.

Chop, chop brother, you got 2.5 to go!

I used to build hotels. Specialized in wood frame. And was always a lead crew member getting my hands dirty, callused, or scarred up at every stage of the project.

So, just out of curiosity. Does your location not require licensed trades for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems? Or, do you have licensed contractors in your pocket claiming your work at a reduced fee?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #96
Jester369

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Surprising how simple much of this stuff really is, isn't it Jester?

It's not so much that the work is all that technical, it's just that there is a LOT of work to do, some materials are quite awkward to maneuver or are just fecking heavy after about the third or fourth lift/laydown (only 1,238 pieces left to go!), and working conditions aren't necessarilly all that favorable until you are dried in and have some way to heat or dehumidify.

Still, nice job. Best part is the pride you can claim saying "Yeah, I did that." Even if you don't ever verbalize it.

They say you finally have the house you really want, after you've built the third one.

Chop, chop brother, you got 2.5 to go!

I used to build hotels. Specialized in wood frame. And was always a lead crew member getting my hands dirty, callused, or scarred up at every stage of the project.

So, just out of curiosity. Does your location not require licensed trades for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems? Or, do you have licensed contractors in your pocket claiming your work at a reduced fee?
Yeah - no one part is that complicated - it's putting them all together in the right order!

As for license requirements, no, as the homeowner I can pretty much do it all. The boiler will be installed by a pro, as well as the plumbing drains and vents, and the electrician that pulled power to the service panel is going to come in and look over my wiring just to confirm that it's all good. I'm very comfortable with electrics, but it can't hurt to have a double check.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #97
Jester369

Recipes 

Another day, another loop of the upstairs heat pipe in. No pic - looks pretty much just like the others! 3 down, 4 to go, but I started with the longest loop and have been working my way to the shortest. By length, I'm about halfway there.

Now, since I am starting to hit the inside work pretty hard, here are some renders to show what all the lumber in upcoming posts are ultimately going to look like:

First floor

Starting center bottom, going clockwise, it's front entry, mudroom, pantry, kitchen, living room, 1/2 bath, office. The stairs are in the same position as the drawing, but they are rotated completely differently. Just never updated the sketchup files.

The kitchen in those drawings has also been refined:

Second floor I never really put a lot of details into the drawing once I figured out the layout.

Again, starting bottom center - Boys shared bathroom, 1st boys bedroom, master walk in closet, master bedroom, laundry, master bath, 2nd boys bedroom.

In reality there is an extra window in the master closet, 2nd boys bedroom, and the master bedroom does not have those two doors and one big window. Scrapped the elevated deck idea ages ago. Also, hadn't come up with the curved wall idea yet, obviously!

Finally, the master bath ended up rather different, too:

So there you have it. Might help make sense when I start posting pictures of interior framing!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #98
Jester369

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToV View Post
Looking good. I would have loved to have been there just to learn. Oh well.
It's still under construction

Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #99
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Did I see Built-In dog water/food bowls in the kitchen? Smart move!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #100
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Guy is that a dog food/water bowl at the end of the base cabinets? And placement of a washer and dryer?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Quick Reply