Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sterile Welding Ball Valve

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
ctharris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sterile Welding Ball Valve

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer to my specific question. Here goes:

I bought a stainless steel 10.5 gallon brew kettle and want to add a stainless 1/2" ball valve. I've heard mixed reviews of the weldless add-on valves and my neighbor (a plumber and steelworker) has offered to weld one onto my kettle for me instead. However, I've read that you need to be careful to have a sterile weld. Does "sterile" refer to eliminating any places for microbes to hide near the weld site (i.e., a smooth weld) or does "sterile" mean something else?

Thanks in advance for the help!

A Newbie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Its sanitary welding, where you use a back purge and a few different techniques. Your boil kettle does not need to be welded this way.

If you are modifying a fermenter or anything that touches your beer after it is cooled then it is recommended to use sanitary welding techniques.

"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

"Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When you get your fittings welded on just purge the rear of the weld, or you can do what I do instead of wasting argon to fill the kettle and welding it out of position. I use solar flux B on the back side of the weld after I put a small tack to hold it in place. I welded the first one without. It would be nice to be able to make a copper ring on the backside of the weld, that would make life soo much easier and you wouldn't have the carbide precipitation from no purge.

Quick Reply