Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Step 1: Cut a hole in the box. Step 2: Put your pump in the box.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
TacoBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Step 1: Cut a hole in the box. Step 2: Put your pump in the box.

Here are a few pictures of my attempt at a March pump toolbox conversion.

Power comes in from 25' extension cord and it powers my GFCI outlet. I decided not to alter the power cable on my pump, so it is plugged into a short extension cord and wired to the switch and outlet. I know the front switch isn't mounted beautifully, but that is a fix I can address at a later time.

The pump box is big enough to allow for a second pump on the opposite side as well as a second switch in the front. I have chosen a vertical mounting, though to be honest, I never had a problem with horizontal mounting.

For the box itself, I went with the Stanley 3-in-1 Rolling Workshop. The portability of this box is what I needed for my system. I run a two tier setup and some days I brew in the garage, some days in the yard and some days on the porch depending on weather. This wheeled assembly allows for great portability as well as ample storage. The base will probably be used to store tubing and I might bolt my plate chiller into it as well. The middle section is going to contain various brew day necessities and spare fittings. The top of course is the pump.

With this setup, I hope to be able to bring this box with me to other homebrewer's houses so that they can utilize the pump as long as they have a ball valve and a power outlet.

pump-box-assembled.jpg   pump-box-outlet.jpg   pump-box-side-view.jpg   pump-box-exploded.jpg   pump-box-outside.jpg  

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I see what you did there with the title.

Good stuff!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
hot_carl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice job...I like all of the toolbox/portable pump rigs that people have come up with. You mentioned having it portable so that you can utilize your pump with other brewers. Having an extra F type (male NPT and male cam) camlock in the toolbox will allow you to thread into any 1/2" ball valve. Different brewers use different fittings, so if that is part of the plan, its cheap insurance that you will always have compatibility. Have you had any issues with the pump heating up in the toolbox, or do you have some sort of ventilation for it? When I'm recirculating my mash for any period, the pumps do get a bit warm and they arent enclosed.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_carl View Post
Nice job...I like all of the toolbox/portable pump rigs that people have come up with. You mentioned having it portable so that you can utilize your pump with other brewers. Having an extra F type (male NPT and male cam) camlock in the toolbox will allow you to thread into any 1/2" ball valve. Different brewers use different fittings, so if that is part of the plan, its cheap insurance that you will always have compatibility. Have you had any issues with the pump heating up in the toolbox, or do you have some sort of ventilation for it? When I'm recirculating my mash for any period, the pumps do get a bit warm and they arent enclosed.
That is my plan exactly. I'm just waiting for BrewHardware to open back up so I can order the extra fittings. As far as overheating, I haven't had a problem, but then again I haven't had to run it for any extended length of time. I don't have recirculation set up on my rig yet, so this is used only for transfer. If it does become an issue, though, it shouldn't be too difficult to splice in a fan.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts

I had to read the thread just cuz of the title... very funny.

Nice build too.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Great looking build, but I have lots of questions

• Total cost minus the $30 box and $110 pump and QD's?
  • Any plans to splash proof the outlets or switch any more?
  • Can you show an inside pic?
  • How much storage is available for other brew day goodies? I want to see it loaded up!
  • I wonder if mounting a self coiled cord thing inside the base would be feasible.. make clean/up break down a snap.

HBT shared you thread on FB - havent been here in a while

Thanks in advance.

I brewed all the beer at my wedding.
http://weddingbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Chrislehr, I haven't broken down the cost part by part yet but as a rough estimate:

Weather-resistant GFCI $15
Switch $1
1-gang box $2 (x2)
Light-duty extension cord $12
7" hose clamp $2.

Things I already had: outlet and switch face plates, 14 gauge wire, wire nuts, short extension cord that the pump is connected to internally so I didn't have to alter the factory power cord, two chunks of 2x4 that the pump is attached to with the clamp for support. And, actually, the pump was a prize from the Music City Brew Off raffle, so it was free!

I will get a picture of the inside when I'm home, but I am not an electrician by any means and didn't make it a priority for the wiring in the box to be clean.

I haven't decided what exactly is going to go in the storage areas yet, but there is ample room in the base to store all of my silicone tubing. My goal is to be able to roll this anywhere and have everything I need to use the pump self-contained in the box. I would like to mount my plate chiller to the base too, but I haven't worked out the logistics of that yet.

I considered adding something like a retracting cord and aside from potential space issues internally, sure, I don't see why not.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Finally put your D!ck in a box!!

Nice job!

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2256 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1240

It's ok when it's in a 3-way. With a honey in the middle there some leeway. 2 Jack Trippers and a Chrissy is the new 3's company...

Oops, wrong Lonely Island song.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
LittleCajunBrewery
Recipes 

Quick Reply