Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > STC-1000 Temp contoller stuck on heat!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #21
eryk4381
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
The display says minus 14, so the heat should be on, no?
Yes it should be on to heat but why do this temp say -14 degrees Celsius. Thats crazy freezing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #22
eryk4381
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Do you have an ohm meter? Check the resistance at room temperature. I can then check mine to get a reading and see if they are in the same ballpark.
Resistance with the wire probe you mean? I can check that. Do you think it may have a fault in the probe wire?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
eryk4381
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
Since the controller is behaving properly given what it thinks the temperature is, this doesn't sound like a wiring mistake. It's an NTC probe, so a super low temp means you're getting a lot of extra resistance. If this is only happening sporadically, perhaps a short somewhere in the cable? Or maybe a bad connection where the probe connects to the controller? Did you wire some kind of plug into the probe cable, or does it plug directly into the back of the controller?
Yeah its directly connected to the controller. The wire could have been pinch or something and giving a random read to give the temp controller such odds results. Maybe moisture in the fridge caused a resistance fault in the wire and stuck the temp controller with and bad read?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #24
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryk4381 View Post
Resistance with the wire probe you mean? I can check that. Do you think it may have a fault in the probe wire?
Well, someone questioned it. We could simply compare readings around room temperature if you want.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #25
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you wired it up to control an outlet like most of the DIY forums did you ensure you broke the connector bridge on the side that ties the the two post on that side together? if not that could cause your heat to run the same time it should be cooling? just a thought to check

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
eryk4381
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews View Post
If you wired it up to control an outlet like most of the DIY forums did you ensure you broke the connector bridge on the side that ties the the two post on that side together? if not that could cause your heat to run the same time it should be cooling? just a thought to check
Yep. I made sure the connection was broken. Just to make it clear in case I confused anyone, the heat doesn't come on at the same time as the cooling. The process with switching from heating to cooling works just as it should. The only issue is that the temp should read probably about 65 degrees and somehow the temp controller is reading that it's 14 degrees which is probably impossible.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
....i checked the temp and it said -88 degrees and apparently had been heating ALL DAY!!!!! Took my beer up to 79 degrees!! GRRRR..

I thought it may be just a random thing so I instantly cooled it back down then reset the temperature back to what I wanted. Two days after it stuck on -14 degrees and was heating again...
Quote:
.... The only issue is that the temp should read probably about 65 degrees and somehow the temp controller is reading that it's 14 degrees which is probably impossible.
I'm a bit confused. Are you mixing temperature units in your discussion?

14deg C = 57deg F
65deg C = 149deg F
18deg C = 65deg F
-10deg C = 14deg F

I would suggest checking the calibration of your probe/controller. Does it read 0deg C in a cup of ice water?
Horizocade Amber
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Big Breasted Blonde

Next Up:
????

Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
Jackjama
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I am gathering that your temp is reading way lower than actual.

I think you should focus on discontinuity in your temp probe first. Make sure you have a good connection with your temp probe wires and terminal strip. Also make sure your temp probe wire is not damaged.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
eryk4381
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
I'm a bit confused. Are you mixing temperature units in your discussion?

14deg C = 57deg F
65deg C = 149deg F
18deg C = 65deg F
-10deg C = 14deg F

I would suggest checking the calibration of your probe/controller. Does it read 0deg C in a cup of ice water?
I was mixing degree measurements, sorry. When I said -88 degrees i meant Celsius.
The next time it misread tempreture it was -14 degrees Celsius as well.

"....i checked the temp and it said -88 degrees and apparently had been heating ALL DAY!!!!! Took my beer up to 79 degrees Fahrenheit!! GRRRR.."

Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
eryk4381
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Well, someone questioned it. We could simply compare readings around room temperature if you want.
OK sorry it took so long to get the resistance measurement. I took out my probe from the install and checked it at room temp. I'm reading 11.3K ohms.

What is everyone else reading on their probes???..
Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply