Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > STC 1000 Probe Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default STC 1000 Probe Replacement

Yesterday, I noticed that the temp readout on my STC 1000 (built into the coffin on my keezer) was jumping around every second or two by as much as a degree. Then the heat indicator started flashing and my keezer would not come on. I spent over an hour rewiring every single part (twice). At that point all it would do is go into alarm mode Then as a last resort, I opened my spare STC 1000 and tried it and had the same result (alarm mode). The only thing left to try was the probe. Mine had been in a small glass vial filled with Vodka. I removed it from the liquid and no change. Finally, I connected the new probe from second controller and everything went back to normal. So now my new probe is in a 500mL bottle of filtered water. Since it is an aquarium controller, I know the probe is meant to be submerged in water.

I need a replacement probe for my spare controller. Has anyone found anything that will work?

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
balrog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 144

See this if you want to make your own: HBT STC Temp Thermistor

I've thought about trying these on ebay as well, already potted with 1m leads: ebay linky

Old 03-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Snicklefritz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Not sure about a probe but you can get the STC-1000 for $16.65 on Amazon right now with free 2-day shipping. Pretty much the cheapest price I've ever seen on them shipped. Just picked up a few spares last night. I think you'd be hard pressed to even find a replacement probe for that price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVCPH2

Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
balrog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz View Post
Not sure about a probe but you can get the STC-1000 for $16.65 on Amazon right now with free 2-day shipping. Pretty much the cheapest price I've ever seen on them shipped. Just picked up a few spares last night. I think you'd be hard pressed to even find a replacement probe for that price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVCPH2
+1 This.

Also, with the ability to make the STC-1000 sing with alphaomega's firmware flash, with profiles, pseudo-ramping, °F or °C, it's hard to pass up these things.

Quick Reply