Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > STC 1000 "Ebay" Temperature Controller Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
wsender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbite87 View Post
Are you talking about wsender or me? My sketch is about as simple design as they come and has been working perfectly since I started using it
The schematic that I commented on has the coil wired between the control side, the 12-24VAC/VDC, to the primary side. The coil should be wired strictly on the control side, and the control side should have a proper way for the dissipation of the energy stored within the coil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
RisenDeadBrewing
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ah gotcha. From what I've read though an SSR isn't necessary with the stc1000 only when your using a PID to control heating elements in an electric brewing setup because of the amount of power they pull

Golden Isles Brew Supply - $7.99 Flat Rate Shipping!

https://www.goldenislesbrewsupply.com

Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsender View Post
The schematic that I commented on has the coil wired between the control side, the 12-24VAC/VDC, to the primary side. The coil should be wired strictly on the control side, and the control side should have a proper way for the dissipation of the energy stored within the coil.
I agree, lincolns schematic has a problem. If the right side leads on each relay were swapped it would make more sense. The drawing must be in error, because that circuit should not work as drawn, it would shunt 120v to ground.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Ah gotcha. From what I've read though an SSR isn't necessary with the stc1000 only when your using a PID to control heating elements in an electric brewing setup because of the amount of power they pull
Hi

A lot depends on just how much power you are running in your electric brew setup. If he's running 20A on his heater(s) then indeed he needs something more than the STC-1000 relays to do the job.

Bob

Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #35
RisenDeadBrewing
Recipes 

I, personally, am only using it to control temps in my Ferm chamber, so it's working out great

Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #36
RisenDeadBrewing
Recipes 

This is what i built to use my STC-1000 with.

http://myrtlebeachbeerlovers.com/fermentation-chamber/

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #37
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

subscribed

Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #38
RisenDeadBrewing
Recipes 

I'll be building another one of these for my keezer this weekend. This one will be slightly different, in the it'll be permanently attached in the collar

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #39
frothus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I'll be building another one of these for my keezer this weekend. This one will be slightly different, in the it'll be permanently attached in the collar
Let us know how that goes. I am building a keezer and was just given what I believe to be an STC 1000. It looks the same, except it doesn't actually have "STC 1000" lettering on the front. I'm wondering how to use it [safely]. I already had a Johnson controller coming in the mail from the Beverage Factory so my current thought is to run them in series to prevent my beer from freezing in case one of them dies.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #40
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3210 Times on 3114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by frothus View Post
Let us know how that goes. I am building a keezer and was just given what I believe to be an STC 1000. It looks the same, except it doesn't actually have "STC 1000" lettering on the front. I'm wondering how to use it [safely]. I already had a Johnson controller coming in the mail from the Beverage Factory so my current thought is to run them in series to prevent my beer from freezing in case one of them dies.
If it doesn't say STC-1000 on it, it could very well be the similar single stage unit. If so, since you're using it for a keezer, it should work just fine. I have one installed in the collar of my keezer. Let me know if you have questions with the wiring, since it's a little different than the STC-1000.

And I don't know if wiring two controllers in series is such a good idea. There's a lot of issues that could create, and it doesn't really protect against much. A controller dying is much more likely to cut power completely rather than freeze the beer, which a second controller wired in series won't fix. Even if a controller does freeze your beer from a malfunction, it won't really hurt your beer.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply