STC 1000 controller wiring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyhive

Reaction score
My first unit was broken so I sourced another from a different vendor.

I have wired it as in the picture, and it shows it is cooling, and even if I switch the wires to other terminals all I get is cooling.

I actually want it to warm as I intend using it to warm up comb honey so I can extract the honey (for mead) using a spin drier.

Can anyone throw some light on matters, and being from the UK our convention is yellow/green is earth, brown is live or hot and blue is neutral. The black wires are the sensor in terminals three and four.

Many thanks

PH

DSCF0982[1].jpg

you dont have anything connected to the output relays.

There is only 1 wire on each. the "cool" and "heat" outputs are literally dry contact relays internally. (10 amps max) for each output you have to supply a voltage in and then output it to the device you are powering.

Like this:
STC-1000_outlet_wiring.jpg

The brown wire currently connected to #7 should be moved to #5 and you should be good for heating.

Ok I switched the brown/live wire from 7 to 5 and the cool light is still blinking?

The wire to 5 is live my tester says but the wire from 6 is dead.

Is this unit stuffed?

PH

what temp is the probe reading and what temp do you have the PID set to?

If the cool light is blinking, I assume the unit wants to cool, so of course, the heat is not on.

make your set point higher and see if the heat will come on.

also as a troubling shooting step. Set your meter to ohms and measure the resistance of pin 7 and 8. should be near zero ohms if the unit wants cool on.

Ok and thanks for posting.

Sorry but I am no expert with this unit, so what is PID? How do I set anything as the destructions are pretty confusing.

Unit is reading 22C which is ambient temp I think

My tester says live or dead, that is all it can do.

PH

Ok and thanks for posting.

Sorry but I am no expert with this unit, so what is PID? How do I set anything as the destructions are pretty confusing.

PID stands for proportional-integral-derivative, loosely it is that little box you have there :p

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQjicdtDVrQ[/ame]
Unit is reading 22C which is ambient temp I think

maybe put the temp probe in ice water to see if it will think things are very cold and turn the heat on? (just for troubleshooting)
My tester says live or dead, that is all it can do.

PH

then connect your live wire to pin 7 and measure pin 8 if it thinks it wants cool, it will show as live.

I found my way into "F1" and set it to 40C and lo the heat light came on and hopefully when it gets to the 40 in a confined space it will switch off?

PH

yes, it will switch off. depending on what your differential (F2) is set to, and how much overshoot your heating element causes, you might see the cool come on. if you have no cool device, dont bother with it.

Finished the honey warmer today and it is working nicely.

Heart felt thanks to those kind enough to help.

PH

Latest posts

Back