Stc 1000 . . . . ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
I'm keeping my Temp controller in my garage.

My question is, Will the controller be OK AND operate properly if the temps in the garage get to and go lower than freezing? They will cause the part of the garage where my 2 fridges and a freezer are kept, is not insulated.

The info that came with the controller says this:

•Operating Temperature: 0 ~ 60 °C
•Storage Temperature: -30 ~ 75 °C

So since 0* C is freezing, I'm concerned that it wont work like it should?

If thats the case, I'm thinking I may have to cover it in some way. Like a towel or maybe put it in a clear container so the little heat it gives off when it's powered up will keep it warmer?

Anyone use the STC 1000 under these same conditions.?

If so, can you let me know if it will be fine, or do you do something like I said above?

Right now, here at the NJ shore, the temps are dipping LOW!:mug:

Mine's in an outdoor garage in the Twin Cities, MN....first year I'm trying it through winter.

I think the temp range is crap....it's just electronics, it'll work fine. <----personal opinion.

Mine's in an outdoor garage in the Twin Cities, MN....first year I'm trying it through winter.

I think the temp range is crap....it's just electronics, it'll work fine. <----personal opinion.

I think the temp range is crap....it's just electronics, it'll work fine. <----personal opinion.[/QUOTE]

Well I just got mine and wired it. It is working a fridge right now in the garage.

Hell I didn't even know what one was until a few months ago ...LOL Nubie!

Hopefully is will function normally though out the winter in there.

But I thought I read on different electronic items, to keep it from being too cold?

LOL Just thinking....My smart phone works outside in below freezing temps when I work. I guess it will be OK?

Time will tell.:confused:

Would not worry, screen might be a little slugish. The liquid in the screen might freeze at some point. I can't think of what else would be effected till much lower.

it wont effect it at all. temperature ratings are always conservative, and only reflect the range that they were willing to test it and certify it at. 0 to 60 is a standard range that most people will use the product in, so they didnt spend extra time and money testing it to its actual failure limits (and then test enough of them to determine what the failure point actually is, on average).

so while the warranty or service contract might only cover it if its used within those limits, that doesnt mean that it wont work if you deviate from that temperature range.

mine is out in my garage which reaches freezing temps (left a glass carboy out there with water/star san in it and it went boom... oops)

Controller is going fine, I actually need to start adjusting my temp for my oktoberfest lower and lower, been in the fridge at 53 for a month now

Well I have for sometime now, put my controller inside controlling my fermentation freezer. Not because of worrying about the coldness in my garage. Only because I moved the chamber inside for my convenience. I do realize now that the temps really won't affect the STC 1000!

"(left a glass carboy out there with water/star san in it and it went boom... oops)"

The temps, will however affect the Glass Carboy! That HURTS!!!! :D

Back