STC-100 220v to 110v Easy fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
This is for everyone that bought one of those 230v controllers this will save you from having to order a new one or tryin to buy an replacement transformer that fits into that spot. Also I know that some ppl have thought of this, but I had a hard time finding any one one that has done it this way.

Materials needed:
1x 230v temp controller
*1x Input: 120v
output:10vcd 800MA+ transformer plug

*Edit: also the transformer maybe overkill you may be able to use as low as 10v 180MA. If this is the case maybe easier to find a plug. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Also the type of transformer plug depends on what type of transformer you remove so you may have to double check that..

Tools needs
soldering iron/desodering
voltage meter

I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH THAT ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS!

image-3395185219.jpg

remove your old transformer from your temp controller.
*EDIT: this transformer I removed has a 10vdc output, and input of 220v. I was informed that you may have a output of VAC so you may have to check with with a voltage meter before you remove.

image-102010787.jpg

locate your transformer plug. I found mine at a good will for $0.99. But I find them at flea markets, or it may be laying around your house.
Edit: I needed a 10v but will add a resistor to drop the voltage so I don't overheat it.

image-1231339540.jpg

Once removed remove the the end jack for The transformer plug.

image-3540310336.jpg image-2776815862.jpg
Now install the two ends of the wires to where your old transformer was. Make sure to soder the wires to the two inside holes.
or you can do what Monster Mash has done on the right. Which would allow for you to use the original hookup.

image-3155644633.jpg

Now turn that baby on. I tested it and it works.

Hope this helps some of you with these just laying around.

Also post pics if you attempt this so that can help me improve on this controller.

Ok so I built my temp controller, andhere is the set up I went with. I put the transformer on the right side of the box because I didn't what the extra heat inside the box. the left side is the cold relay attachment with a fuse attached. This saved me some money, with just a little extra time.

image-1421706246.jpg

image-1716007407.jpg

image-3070518167.jpg

image-1577007516.jpg

True, I just had extra plugs and didn't care where I had put it. Plus i had scrap wire and only had so much of it. I have had the 220v eBay controller for about 6 months, and as soon as i thought of my idea(1day ago). I may have rushed my layout for this device. But it works and thats all that matters to me now!

Running a test to see if I can get lager temps with my fridge. I really need some newer fridges.
image-3548441888.jpg

Nice job. You probably could have put jumper wires to the other holes where the transformer was and used the terminals to connect the transformer plug.

Chrisl77 said:
Nice job. You probably could have put jumper wires to the other holes where the transformer was and used the terminals to connect the transformer plug.

Yeah MC said the same thing, I'd like to see if anyone one else attempts this. Using the jumper idea. Thanks.

Ok prolly last update on this just to tell you guys everything is working as planed. Was able to get ambient temp to lager status. I'd rather this be my lager frem chamber mainly cause its smaller, but in my genius I decided to move over all my small bottles instead of my one carboy. Thanks for following.

image-385808015.jpg
current temp of wine, ambient temp on back display

image-796993245.jpg
Bungie corded to keep doors sealed

image-3346914135.jpg
Bottled mead, blueberry wine, and various beer

image-819473658.jpg
What I left in for lagering on my other chamber. Will prolly wait a 3 weeks and move over when mead is ready to hand out(friends that pitched in to help get supplies)

I think it may depend on the type of transformer that you have to remove. I also noticeI am using a bit to much voltage on mine. I prolly just add a resistor to make sure I don't over heat anything. Thanks for that info that will help to know they may be different.

It looks identical to the one you pictured, I tried swapping +/- and it still didn't work with the DC. This post helped a lot though because we have 6 of them that we can now use.

Monster Mash said:
It looks identical to the one you pictured, I tried swapping +/- and it still didn't work with the DC. This post helped a lot though because we have 6 of them that we can now use.

There is no telling if they could have changed designs and power supplied to it at some point. Glad that the VAC worked... I edited my post to help with that. So thank you cause u have also help me. Can't believe I didn't notice the 10v... Did the 9v open and close your relays?

There is no telling if they could have changed designs and power supplied to it at some point. Glad that the VAC worked... I edited my post to help with that. So thank you cause u have also help me. Can't believe I didn't notice the 10v... Did the 9v open and close your relays?

Yes, everything is working as it should. I'm going to use it to control a 12vdc fan on this project https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-life-dead-freezer-308336/ so it would have been great if the 12vdc power supply worked..... I'll just have to wire up two separate power supplies.

I wired it up a bit different to allow use of the connectors on the back. I jumpered the high voltage side to the low voltage side....

0229121318.jpg

0229121319.jpg

Monster Mash said:
Yes, everything is working as it should. I'm going to use it to control a 12vdc fan on this project https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-life-dead-freezer-308336/ so it would have been great if the 12vdc power supply worked..... I'll just have to wire up two separate power supplies.

Yeah I figured that I could also run another cord from my box to run a fan inside. Will prolly do that at some point with 800Ma I could run a 2-3. I think I will add another relay to trigger it only when the cooler is on.

Monster Mash said:
I wired it up a bit different to allow use of the connectors on the back. I jumpered the high voltage side to the low voltage side....

Love it, I wanted to do that but I didn't.

So i hate to bump an old thread, but pretty sure i have a 220V coming in the mail soon...

Any ideas on what the amperage rating needs to be on the 9-12VAC plug to operate this device properly?

Back