Starting my keezer build... thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttumotion

Reaction score
Hey guys...
I wanted to post my ideas on my keezer build that starts tomorrow.
I am going to use a 5 cubic foot freezer and build a irish coffin on top. The top will be tiled with multi-colored blue 1" glass tile and a stainless drip tray. The inset of the coffin under the taps will have a 10" digital picture frame rolling thru the beers on tap as well as pictures of the brew day and abv, ibu's etc. Instead of paneling the sides and front with wood, I am going to use corrugated tin used for roofing. I am also going to use some blue led ribbon light underneath the lip of the lid to reflect down the front and side tin. I will have it up on four wheels... I'll use the radio shack project box cooling system for the coffin to keep the taps cold. Any thoughts, suggestions or anything that I am missing? I have been running the keezer for about a year now and opening the top to get a cold one... I think I will like having a setup like this.

I think your digital picture frame idea is great...but I think I need to see the tin sides before having an opinion on that part of your build.

Jester, thanks for your posts and your build... sure makes it easier for the rest of us!

here are a couple of pics...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47910479/Photo Dec 13, 3 36 25 PM.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47910479/Photo Dec 13, 3 36 34 PM.jpg

looks pretty good thus far, I will have some sanding to do... tile the top, add/build the coffin, stain it, put in the digital frame and add the led ribbon. its coming along.

Photo Dec 13, 3 36 25 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 13, 3 36 34 PM.jpg

Just got back in town and purchased the stain and grout tonight... I'm pleased thus far. I will post some pics of the coffin and tile soon.

here are a few pics of the progress... getting close. I am going to mix some classic grey and ebony stain to get a darker stain. I am pleased with it so far...

Photo Dec 19, 11 54 09 AM.jpg

Photo Dec 19, 3 35 50 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 19, 11 54 33 AM.jpg

Impressive work, really would Luke to know how much it ran you. I have a chest freezer in my garage pretty barren that I might try to do some thing like this to...well a bit simpler. :)

It's not horrible... Everything I tried to get on sale or some of the items were on clearance.
The tin isn't bad either. All said and done, I would say $200-$250. That includes the digital frame too. You can make these as crazy or simple as you want. It's fun for sure.

Yes, home depot. I just wanted to do something a bit different. I think my favorite part might be the digital frame.

more progress, construction will be finished tomorrow. I grouted yesterday and cleaned the tiles today, looks great. Sanding and stain is next, then wiring and insulation of the beer lines.

Photo Dec 21, 11 33 13 AM.jpg

Photo Dec 21, 11 33 05 AM.jpg

Photo Dec 21, 11 31 37 AM.jpg

Construction finished. Waiting on my taps. Sanded this afternoon and will be staining tomorrow. Changed my mind on the grey stain, going a dark mahogany.

Photo Dec 22, 1 50 40 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 22, 1 50 50 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 22, 3 32 54 PM.jpg

got my taps for Christmas... I will hook up the beer lines today. Still have to add the leds under the lip of the bottom cabinet

Photo Dec 25, 4 30 59 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 25, 4 31 10 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 25, 4 31 16 PM.jpg

Nice taps, especially the Boulevard one. My home town brewery.

Quick question, when opened is there extra support for the lid? Seems like it could be a bit top heavy.

Love it though! Looks fanatic!

thanks surfer dude, yes it its heavy. Thus far i have had help holding it open or i pulled out a drawer on my toolbox and rolled it over to hold to hold it. The hinges, I assume, cant hold the weight on their own...

Love Boulevard, we cant get it here and I love the Double-Wide IPA. We were recently in OKC and I purchased all of the smokestack series.

Nice. I was thinking of doing the same thing for my build. Where did you get the tin roofing?

Back