Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Stainless Steel Single Tier Stand Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #51
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
Could you have used smaller ss stock? It looks really beefy. I like your design, but need to be frugal. I will be using three converted sankeys but would like to be able to use the same stand if I decide to increase my boiling volume to 1bbl.

I like the look of square tubes. Don't know much about ss yet...
You're not going to be able to use the same stand for 10 gallon batches and 1 barrel batches. The kettle differences are huge.

You can use smaller tubing, but the 2" tubing gives you a nice footprint for holding the kettles.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #52
joetownhound
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice build subscribed

Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #53
RocketBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very Nice, subscribed!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #54
goingmad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great build man! It looks professional grade, such a wonderful job welding and grinding you did!

Soon I have to build a similar stand - just two banjo burners - and this thread is going among the bookmarked right now!
Can you please show some images of your pump mounts?

Thanks for sharing.

gm

My toys: HERMS system Fermentation Chamber Control Panel

Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #55
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
Could you have used smaller ss stock? It looks really beefy. I like your design, but need to be frugal. I will be using three converted sankeys but would like to be able to use the same stand if I decide to increase my boiling volume to 1bbl.

I like the look of square tubes. Don't know much about ss yet...
Yeah you could easily used smaller stock and be fine. I'm convinced that I could park my truck on top of my stand and it'd hold no problem...it's way over engineered using the 2" stainless.

Also, I gave up on polishing the stand. I'm brewing on it virtually every weekend and the amount of time, effort, and material it took to get even a small part of the frame polished was crazy. I like it rough looking now though, has character...looks like it gets used a lot, which it does.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #56
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingmad View Post
Great build man! It looks professional grade, such a wonderful job welding and grinding you did!

Soon I have to build a similar stand - just two banjo burners - and this thread is going among the bookmarked right now!
Can you please show some images of your pump mounts?

Thanks for sharing.

gm
Here you go. Is just a square piece of stainless stock with holes drilled to line up with the mounting bracket of the pump, welded on to the bottom of the frame. Pump mounts with regular nut/bolt.
image.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #57
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice build Strat,

I am getting ready to start a stand and also will use 2" ss since it was free from some salvage stuff at work. I have to cut a lot of welds off and get the pieces broken down first. Your stand is exactly what I was thinking, except a bit taller to fit the kegs inside for storage and no automation except a pump switch (and another thing I have not seen anyone do... Shhhh)

I am wondering if you had dimensions of your stand? Also, will the width of a it fit sanke kegs? The pieces I have may be to short for the length of your stand, but I have enough I could weld ends together. Which wouldn't be all that bad, because my pieces are already angled on the corners.... Just cut out some depth, and add it to the length.... Hmmm... Just need to get it all out and start tinkering!

I was going to have a pro weld it, but now you got me thinking about diy welding. My brother has a good Miller welder and knowledge of cold steel, and my garage has power for one....just a bottle and wire and I'd be off running.

You got any tips for mig'ng ss, beginner to beginner? Still use the 98% argon? How about wire? Would you have done anything different for welding?

Thank you in advance,

MT

Quick Reply