Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Stainless Steel Single Tier Stand Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #31
ghart999
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Looking good. Will you be taking the heat shields all the way up to close the gap as suggested above? Also how will you be mounting it and will it be a single circular piece or a series of flat stock welded at angles? Also what will be the depth of the screens?

Also what did you pay per 20' piece for the SS stock? Just curious compared to Denver prices.

Sorry for all the questions but I am basically doing the identical SS stand as you but using the BG-12 6" ring burners and will be doing heat shields from a cutup corney keg which is 8.375" in diameter. I am trying to determine how I will mount them to the underside of the top of the stand. I am actually considering bringing the angle braces further out so the diagonal distance between them is 8" instead of 12.5" like yours and spot welding the heat shields from underneath. But I am wondering if that will look like crap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #32
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
Looking good. Will you be taking the heat shields all the way up to close the gap as suggested above? Also how will you be mounting it and will it be a single circular piece or a series of flat stock welded at angles? Also what will be the depth of the screens?
I am planning on using a series of flat stock welded on the angles, and plan to take the shields all the way to the top frame. I am a little concerned about the burners getting enough oxygen being fully enclosed, with nowhere for hot gasses to vent upward. Any advice anyone?

Quote:
Also what did you pay per 20' piece for the SS stock? Just curious compared to Denver prices.
I paid just over $500 for 60 ft of 11ga 2" stainless tube. I think it was $7.90/ft. I shopped it around a few local places and they had the best price by far.

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions but I am basically doing the identical SS stand as you but using the BG-12 6" ring burners and will be doing heat shields from a cutup corney keg which is 8.375" in diameter. I am trying to determine how I will mount them to the underside of the top of the stand. I am actually considering bringing the angle braces further out so the diagonal distance between them is 8" instead of 12.5" like yours and spot welding the heat shields from underneath. But I am wondering if that will look like crap.
I think you'd be ok to move the braces either direction. I set mine the way they are because I was originally planning on mounting the burners at an angle, but I condensed the overall size of the stand and they wouldnt fit anymore.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #33
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the answers. Yeah the 11ga is so much more expensive. I am doing 1.5" 16ga and it's $4.80/foot or under $300 for 60 feet. I just can't afford the better stuff.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #34
Caboose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Great build! Im starting my own soon and you're design is right on what I want! Hope you post some updates soon!

Primary: Speckled Heifer/Apfelwein
Secondary: Irish Red

Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #35
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post

i think you missed your marks a little bit lol just kidding

Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsbro View Post
Center drills work great for a pilot. It looks like a short double ended drill bit.

They don't walk like drill bits do.

It pretty much spots a hole exactly where you place the center drill.

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #37
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsbro View Post
yeah yeah...like I said...not an experienced metal worker here. This is actually my first metal-working project ever, so I'm learning as I go. Even if I HAD hit all the marks perfectly, the f****** banjo burner mounting holes aren't perfectly square (or even close for that matter), and I still would have ended up having to go back and re-drill like I did.

I finally had time to get my pump mounts, windscreen panels, caster inserts, casters, and bottom shelf measured and ordered last night, and I'll be assembling my propane manifold this evening. Should have some more progress pics up this weekend, and I should be finished with construction (minus polish and the automation) by next weekend barring any un-forseen real-life/job stuff.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #38
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

got my propane manifold put together for the most part tonight. I have a bottom shelf for the stand on the way, should be here on Monday. I am planning on mounting the manifold on the underside of the shelf, and drilling holes in the shelf for the vertical posts that the ball valves will attach to, so all you see above the shelf is the valve itself and the flex line to the burner. More photos to follow on Monday after my metal order gets here.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #39
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Why not build a gas bar right into the brew stand itself. In other words make a piece of the frame air tight and weld NPT nipples into it. You seem to know what you're doing well enough to pull this off.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #40
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

I FINALLY made some progress this weekend!!

At this point, the stand is 90% complete in "manual mode". I got my lower shelf/splash shield mounted, pump mounts cut, drilled and mounted, gas manifold and shutoff valves mounted...

I rigged my pump switch box to the left side of the frame to give me some control until I get the BCS controller...that isn't permanent.

All I have left to do is polish the frame, and mount the burner wind screens (you can see them sitting on the bottom shelf in the photos).

Once that is done, I will begin collecting parts to begin the automation process. Thats going to be a lot of $$, so it may take awhile...but at this point I am ready to rock in full manual mode. I will still be using a cooler mash tun until I have computer control of the burners and pumps (which is why the center burner isnt connected yet), but I thought I would put my shiny new Blichmann mash tun on the stand just for the photos.

Quick Reply