Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Stainless Steel Single Tier Stand Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
doctorsbro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfa200 View Post
No problem.
Your stand is looking great.
Excellent job!

That remark is a bit misleading to give the average person the idea that they can make mig welds look as good as tig welds done by someone with many years of experience. It may be for someone like yourself.
For the record, the welds strat_thru_marshall linked to were tig welded.
The characteristics of mig vs. tig welds are very different.
Mig can look like tig if you use a backstepping(whipping) method.
sorry if i confused you but nowhere did i say you can make mig welds look like tig welds in general, i was talking about welding aluminum with a spoolmate gun which is easy to make a nice looking weld like the one pictured with very little practice, now steel is a whole different ball game, ive been walking the cup around tubes and pipes for years, and many people i know can make a tig weld where you cant tell if it was done by hand or done with an orbital rig, perfect every stroke, which takes many years of training and practice to accomplish, using a spool gun on aluminum and just dragging it will make a weld visually comarable to a tig weld since the puddle cools so fast and resemble the stack of dimes look

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

doctorsbro,

It's good to see another pipe hand lurking about in this forum.
Wasn't sure about your credentials to be making claims like that.
I gave up welding in circles for a job that is a bit more interesting.
Climbing through pipe racks, pulling leads, dealing with Health and Safety, filling out hot work permits, and welding outside all year long was wearing on me.
Plus the new job pays better.
I know what you mean on the Aluminum mig, but I think joe-shmoe whose not a welder would have a tough time.
I think carbon steel is easier to get the hang of for a beginner.

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #23
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfa200 View Post
doctorsbro,

It's good to see another pipe hand lurking about in this forum.
Wasn't sure about your credentials to be making claims like that.
I gave up welding in circles for a job that is a bit more interesting.
Climbing through pipe racks, pulling leads, dealing with Health and Safety, filling out hot work permits, and welding outside all year long was wearing on me.
Plus the new job pays better.
I know what you mean on the Aluminum mig, but I think joe-shmoe whose not a welder would have a tough time.
I think carbon steel is easier to get the hang of for a beginner.
Yeah, no fun running hundreds of feet of 4/0 leads through jumbled up messes of other leads in power plants etc... no more rouny rounds for me, i switched over to the operators union 7 years ago, i can actually breathe and smell now that i dont breath in burning weld blankets and smoke from welding rods all day, only roundy rounds i will be doing is when they tell me to swing left or right.....

Old 03-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #24
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Just ordered my MLT Boilermaker with false bottom, and am about to order the third pump and some other goodies.

What do you guys think of the burner mount/windscreen design shown here in the middle:

It'd use the same tubing as the frame for the vertical mounts, with 1/16th in stainless sheet for the windscreens.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #25
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for the windscreens, i would take them all the way to the bottom of the frame and get rid of the gap so all of the air for the burner is fed from underneath, the gap could allow wind to blow across the top of the burner, other than that it looks like a solid windscreen

Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #26
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Got my burners in today. Two new ones, and I have one more banjo on my current wood stand that I'll be using. I am hoping I will be able to get the burner mounts and windscreens done this weekend. If it wasn't for my job, and drinking beer after work...I'd be able to make much quicker progress!!!!! I have chosen to play it safe and not operate a welder or chop saw in the evening after having several beers.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #27
ranchonodinero
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where did you get your burners? They look great!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #28
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchonodinero View Post
Where did you get your burners? They look great!
I ordered them from Northern Brewer. With shipping rolled in, it was only $6 more expensive then Agri Supply (which seems to be the current cheapest place to get them). NB's commercials on the Brewing Network crack me up, so I don't mind paying a little more to support them.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #29
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

I had a few hours to mess around in the garage today, so I got my burner mounts cut, drilled, and tacked into place. I used a cobalt 1/4" bit to drill the stainless, and used canola oil to keep things lubricated. It cut through no problem.

The screws that came with my burners were just a hair too short, so I need to make a trip to the hardware store to obtain some slightly longer mounting screws. I'm going out of town for a week tomorrow morning, so I hope to get the burners mounted next weekend.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #30
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Ok, burners are all mounted up. The stand should be fully functional, minus automation, for the next brew day.

As a note for anyone looking to custom build mounting brackets for banjo burners..... they are not square. The SHOULD be square...they look like they'd be square...but they're not. I measured out exactly where each hole should have lined up, and they were way off. I ended up screwing the brackets to the banjo burners and then welding them to the stand, rather than welding the brackets to the stand, then mounting the burners. This was the only way I could make the burners fit...since they don't line up to perfectly measured, cut, and drilled square mounting holes...

Next weekend I'll be cutting and mounting the windscreens and pump mounts, and running propane plumbing. Hopefully the following week will see the first brew on the new rig.

Anyway, on to some pics:

Burner mounts tacked into place:

Pardon my ugly welds:

Quick Reply