Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Stainless Steel Single Tier Stand Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #11
ranchonodinero
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very nice build! Chop saw for all the angled cuts? Are you a welder by trade? Layout looks great. I really need to fire up the millermatic and give stainless welding a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #12
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchonodinero View Post
Very nice build! Chop saw for all the angled cuts? Are you a welder by trade? Layout looks great. I really need to fire up the millermatic and give stainless welding a try.
Its easy, just get yourself a roll of sdtainless wire and a bottle of 98%argon 2% co2, dont bother with tri mixes, they are pointless. Stainless welds nicer than steel as well.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #13
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis1001 View Post
STM,
Nice Build, how are you planning on attaching the BG-14's? I am about the same place you are now. I still have not decided how to attach the banjo's yet. Are you using the back runner as the LP manifold?
My plan is to get some 16 gauge plate cut to 5.75"x4in, and attach them to the 45 degree angled sections, oriented below the top frame. It will make sort of a half-windscreen for the burner. I'll drill holes in the plate and mount the burners directly to that. My plan is to run black pipe for propane as I don't trust my welding skills nearly enough to use the back tube as a gas manifold. I will probably put it on the front side along with the pumps, so I can control everything without walking around the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsbro View Post
just curious of what kind of mig wire you used to weld the stand together, was it 308? also what gas? Was is 98%argon 2% co2? Looks like it may have been 100% argon from the blackening around the welds.
I used 308 wire with 100% argon. This is literally my first welding project, and the guys at the welding shop recommended it as a good balance of price and functionality. The welds obviously arent even in the same ball park as some of the amazing work on here like this, (thanks for all the advice on tools dmfa200!!), but they seem like they'll hold the stand together.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #14
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
My plan is to get some 16 gauge plate cut to 5.75"x4in, and attach them to the 45 degree angled sections, oriented below the top frame. It will make sort of a half-windscreen for the burner. I'll drill holes in the plate and mount the burners directly to that. My plan is to run black pipe for propane as I don't trust my welding skills nearly enough to use the back tube as a gas manifold. I will probably put it on the front side along with the pumps, so I can control everything without walking around the stand.

I used 308 wire with 100% argon. This is literally my first welding project, and the guys at the welding shop recommended it as a good balance of price and functionality. The welds obviously arent even in the same ball park as some of the amazing work on here like this, (thanks for all the advice on tools dmfa200!!), but they seem like they'll hold the stand together.
Youd be suprised how easy it is to make aluminum welds look like that with a spoolmate gun, im sure your welds will be fine, considering that 2" tube frame could support a car on top of it, it will handle 200lbs of brew and equipment with ease....

Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #15
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Quote:
Yes, chop saw for all the cuts. I had to use a few extra clamps to secure the metal to the fence for the 45 degree cuts, it was moving around a little and the built in clamp didnt want to hold it flush at that steep of an angle. Once I got it dialed in though, the cuts were easy. Went through 2 abrasive wheels making all the cuts.

And I am not a welder by trade. This is actually the first time I've welded anything. I have the utmost respect for the pro welders on this forum and am very thankful that they are here and willing to help us beginners. Homebrewing has inspired the DIY'er within me, and I figure that for my money I'd rather invest in raw materials and tools than a ready made product. Hopefully I'll come out with experience, know-how, tools, and *hopefully* the product!!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #16
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well it looks like you are well on your way to the finished product!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #17
ranchonodinero
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you going to use a sheet bender for the wind guards or go with individual plates? My local shop must be wants to lease me another bottle as they suggested trimix. I currently use Argo shield gas 25C for various projects.

Reason: poor verbage

Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #18
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Are you going to use a sheet bender for the wind guards or go with individual plates? My local shop must be wants to lease me another bottle as they suggested trimix. I currently use Argo shield gas 25C for various projects.
dont use the trimix........ trimix is just a way to get more money out of you,

stainless mig-98% argon 2% co2
steel mig-c25
stainless/aluminum/steel tig-100% argon
thick aluminum tig-argon/helium mix

100% argon also works for stainless mig but the weld puddle runs a little cooler making a taller bead to grind off, and also the puddle doesnt flow as well, but it does work. and on a side note, never buy a welding shielding gas that has a percentage of oxygen in it, oxygen is an oxidizer, shielding gas is to eliminate oxidation not add to it....

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #19
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Quote:
Are you going to use a sheet bender for the wind guards or go with individual plates?
Im going to use individual plates, like this:

Since I ususally brew in the garage (with the doors open) I dont have to worry too much about wind messing with the burners. I want to be sure that they can get enough oxygen, and have somewhere to vent hot gasses so they don't run too hot since there wont be much, if any, room to vent up the sides of the kettles.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
(thanks for all the advice on tools dmfa200!!), but they seem like they'll hold the stand together.
No problem.
Your stand is looking great.
Excellent job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsbro View Post
Youd be suprised how easy it is to make aluminum welds look like that with a spoolmate gun, im sure your welds will be fine, considering that 2" tube frame could support a car on top of it, it will handle 200lbs of brew and equipment with ease....
That remark is a bit misleading to give the average person the idea that they can make mig welds look as good as tig welds done by someone with many years of experience. It may be for someone like yourself.
For the record, the welds strat_thru_marshall linked to were tig welded.
The characteristics of mig vs. tig welds are very different.
Mig can look like tig if you use a backstepping(whipping) method.

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Quick Reply