Stainless cam lock fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
The pics look like big fittings, anyone have pics of the 1/2" stuff and can report on how well they work?

Here ya go...

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

They are a tight fit to get them closed... I am sure this will subside in time...

Yeah. There is a gasket in the female piece. The fitting is tight. I have yet to use mine but I should be doing wet test in the next few weeks.

They look really nice, It's good to see them in the correct scale, as the ones pictured on websites look to be a few inches wide. Are the insides rough cast?

One more question about the camlocks, I know this is going way off topic, but the barb appears to be way smaller than 1/2". True?

Yeah you are right. The barb is 1/2" OD so it fits inside 1/2" ID tubing. The ID of the connector seems to be pretty small but most of us control the flow from our pumps anyway so I don't see it being much of an issue.

Sorry Yuri for going off topic

It was quite easy to get 1/2" ID silicone hose over...

I thought I recalled seeing somewhere about the gaskets not being a high temp gasket. Is this a concern for you?

According to the site, I believe they are Buna N gaskets... If that isn't safe at higher temps, I am sure there are similarly sized silicone gaskets available...

:mug:

This might be the answer to that.

Nitrile (Buna-N)

Trade Names:
Chemigum Hycar (Zeo (Goodyear)n Chemical) Ny Syn (Copolymer) Paracril (Uniroyal) Krynac (Polysar) Perbunan (Mobay)
The most widely used 0-Ring elastomer. Excellent resistance to petroleum products. Excellent compression set, tear and abrasion resistance. Does not have good resistance to ozone, sunlight, or weather, unless specifically compounded. Should not be stored in direct sunlight or near motors or other electrical equipment which may generate ozone. Temperature range: -40° to +250°F.

Never underestimate the power of this site! I am building a rig, searched for QD's, found these camlocks and talked of them on this site, next thing I know, sold out! Here's the original discussion: Sourcing some QD's
2 months later, back in stock, 2 weeks later sold out again! Good job folks haha. Actually I'm in no hurry, and I picked up a couple to test with on my march pumps. I love them and will definitely buy the rest once they come in stock. They do seal super tight, and clamping them is a bit of a chore, but heavy duty is good!
I think its excellent we now have a super cheap stainless option. Build on brew brothers!

Why not use the aluminum ones?

For the price....why not use the SS ones? I am sure we could go round and round on this subject.

Bottom line. SS will last longer. I will be cleaning in place so the ability to stand up to cleaners is my major reason for getting SS.

Aluminum pits pretty easy from continued use. I am using an aluminum kettle for extract brewing at the moment. I don't have anything against it. Just felt that when it was time to build my full rig I would go with good parts.

Well then. That is another story. I would use them for free. I see no reason not to.

Read through the SS vs Aluminum kettle thread. Same reasoning should hold for the connectors. My vote would be yes. They should work great for that price. The only issue I could see is the gasket. It might not be temp rated. That would be an easy cheap fix.

Go for it.

I will hopefully do my first batch by the end of this month. SWMBO will be out of town two weekends in a row. So I should have my rig finished after that.

Just got my pump for christmas so I should be doing leak tests on the system next weekend. Going out of town this weekend.

Still hoping they'll get the 1/2" NPT Type F in... I've talked to them a bit about these, they are buna seals so should be fine for our use.

FYI:
Looks like the morebeer SS QD's are back in stock. I like the idea of these camlocks, too, and want to hear from experience before dropping coin in either direction.

Anyone brew on these things yet? That price seems too good to be true.

Used them Christmas Eve with my shiny new pump... They worked great... No leaks from the connections... A little difficult to get them attached at first, but after a few times, they were pretty easy to use...

:mug:

Don't quote me on it - BUT I called and placed my order yesterday with Pro Flow asking them to wait until everything was back in stock - they expected a shipment yesterday or today and I just got my shipment notification from UPS that they shipped.

Confirmed - showing in stock on their website.

I wish I could. I was not able to work on my rig at all this past weekend. Beer Festival, and my crawl space flooded when the washing machine dumped its whole load and then some down the heating vent........On another note. My shureflo pump I use for my wort chiller came in handy. I was able to pump about ten gallons out with it.

Anyway, back on topic. I am hoping this weekend I will get paint on the stand and get all the rest of the plumbing hooked up to test the pump and fittings next week. After paint I can begin final assembly.

Hopefully I can give a report on the camlocks and the 12v motorized ball valve I have for the pump output.

I have 10 or 11 sets of these on my Brutus 10 setup - they work like a dream. I have the male connections on all hoses as they were out of stock on certain fittings to do females on the hoses. I'm glad I did it the way I did though as the hoses don't have the wings on them and they take more abuse getting dropped from time to time. They seem pretty well built so far - seal like a dream, are easy to connect/disconnect, are stainless, and the price is right. The seals are buna-n, but have been good so far. They do have a silicone seal option, but I haven't needed them yet as I have pumped boiling wort throught them every time I brew with no issues.

My only fear is if the male end at the gasket contact area got scared up or hit the concrete causing a leak at the gasket. This has happened to me many time with brass male hose quick disconnects vs using steel.

Bummer is when some trucker runs over a 4" female coupling and your about to pump off 6,200 gallons of vinegar, happened to my owner operator friend. I went for a joy ride one day and that happened by a "me no speak English" driver. Hammered the snot out of it just to unload, replaced later. I do see your point about having smaller ends without the camlocks in the way. With 300 grain vinegar and aluminum camlocks is a no go as the 300 grain eats aluminum rather fast, even eats into 304 stainless.

Sorry... I have been sick for the last week and finally had my first Happy Ending of the year...... =D

I am currently using the Type A, Type C and Type F... I have the Type C's on my hoses and the Type F's on my HLT, MLT and kettle and the Type A's on my pump....

Hi all,

This is true for pretty much all of our building’s internal and external systems, but it’s especially true when we are talking about the fluid dynamics involved.

Thanks

Hi all,

This is true for pretty much all of our building’s internal and external systems, but it’s especially true when we are talking about the fluid dynamics involved.

Thanks

What are you talking about? Did you take a wrong turn somewhere or what?

Back