SS MIG welding with the wrong gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiltLifter

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tries welding SS with the proper SS MIG wire, but using a the wrong gas (Argon/CO2)? I just don't want to buy ONE MORE TANK! I already have Ar/CO2,CO2,Nitrogen/CO2,O2, and Nitrogen - I don't want to buy a Tri-Mix tank as well.

What are the drawbacks?

Long ago when I was a maintainer we used a MIG with stainless wire using an argon/CO2 gas. The welds looked good to me. Purty even. Spool up with the gas you have. lay down a bead and see what it looks like.

Long ago when I was a maintainer we used a MIG with stainless wire using an argon/CO2 gas. The welds looked good to me. Purty even. Spool up with the gas you have. lay down a bead and see what it looks like.

+1

I'm no expert, but I don't think the gas is as critical to MIG as it is to TIG because it is mostly shielding the arc, but stabilizing it like in TIG. In TIG even 2% Helium will change the arc temp and penetration.

Back