New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > SS Hop Back solutions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
hatrickwah
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default SS Hop Back solutions?

So I've been digging around HBT and via Google, trying to find a stainless steel hop back solution that is all stainless like the new Blichmann HopRocket. I'm ready to drop the $$ on the blichmann (SWMBO approved), but at the same time I could use some more kegs. Does anyone have a good solution for a hop back that uses all stainless, without any plastic, meaning no kitchen canisters, no water filters. I found one that looked tempting, but the source for the container was no more, and the picture of the unit wasn't large enough to get a good look at it.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
bluecarpetsample
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You could always try using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Excellante-6-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Marie/dp/B001N3YKJ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297889064&sr=8-2

with the corresponding bain marie (1.5 qt version of both). It would be pretty easy to solder on stainless couplings and add a modified stainless strainer for less than $100. If you think you'll be soldering more couplings of that size, then make one of GreenMonti keg tools, done with all stainless fittings from McMaster by Nostalgia:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index26.html#post2264954

~$14 Bain Marie
~$10 2 couplers (maybe 1/2")
~$25 keg tool
~$14 6" stainless mesh strainer:http://www.amazon.com/MIU-6-Inch-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Strainer/dp/B000VWA0JI/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1297892334&sr=8-23

= $63

Something to think about...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
hatrickwah
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That was the idea I found, but initially couldn't find the pots from the guy's links. This helps thanks. I question the idea on the strainer part though, I wonder if something like this might be a better idea? Amazon

Electric Brewing Supply

Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
bluecarpetsample
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I would only go with that if you're only going to be using whole leaf hops, otherwise I would use a finer mesh.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well....do you NEED a hopback? What kinda chiller do you use?

They're nice to have, but a lot of people find they don't use them nearly as much. I built one into my system, but it is also a pre-filter for my plate chiller.

I'm finding that it's easy to get off track with purchases, because there's so much cool stuff. Right now I'm torn between buying welding stuff and finishing my brew system. Only one is really going to help my homebrewing process.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I finally dropped the $$ for the hop rocket and it works really nice.
Do you need it ? probably not , but as a filter to get rid of extra hops and add more hop aroma, thats what I use it for. And it looks better than my homemade jobby.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
hatrickwah
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Scuba, you make a valid argument, and that exact question is why I'm at this point. I was all set to order the blingmann at the end of the month, but then my oldest kegerator started going on the fritz. I have the refrigeration repair guy coming tomorrow to get my big commercial refrigerators online, so the old kegerator will be replaced. But now I'm thinking that 7 kegs aren't enough. Watching keg prices, even just in the last 3 months, they are climbing. I'm leaning towards picking up a pair of kegs and some little odds and ends rather than getting the hop back now. As I type this I'm convincing myself more and more that kegs are more important. Now to find a good deal on some that won't cost me an arm, leg, and my first born in freight.

BTW, I'm using a counterflow chiller right now, but should be moving to Houston soon, so I've been shopping around for plate chillers. I'll probably find myself in Keg Cowboy's front door if I do move, picking one up.

Electric Brewing Supply

Old 02-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
techrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickwah View Post
That was the idea I found, but initially couldn't find the pots from the guy's links. This helps thanks. I question the idea on the strainer part though, I wonder if something like this might be a better idea? Amazon
you really want to use stainless. cold rolled is still steel, and it will rust.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarpetsample View Post
You could always try using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Excellante-6-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Marie/dp/B001N3YKJ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297889064&sr=8-2

with the corresponding bain marie (1.5 qt version of both). It would be pretty easy to solder on stainless couplings and add a modified stainless strainer for less than $100. If you think you'll be soldering more couplings of that size, then make one of GreenMonti keg tools, done with all stainless fittings from McMaster by Nostalgia:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index26.html#post2264954

~$14 Bain Marie
~$10 2 couplers (maybe 1/2")
~$25 keg tool
~$14 6" stainless mesh strainer:http://www.amazon.com/MIU-6-Inch-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Strainer/dp/B000VWA0JI/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1297892334&sr=8-23

= $63

Something to think about...
This is basically what I did. I picked up the 2 inserts and a notched lid for ~$15 at a restaurant supply Costso. I had a full coupler welded on the bottom (there is room for a bulkhead fitting though) and then drilled a ton of holes in the insert (used a drill press and went through a few bits). I gravity feed into it from the kettle and then pump out of it through the CFC. The holes are the same size as my false bottom but I still use a bag for clean up sake and I can sink the hops better. I only really break it out on IPAs but another benefit is the pump primes way easier.

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickwah View Post
Scuba, you make a valid argument, and that exact question is why I'm at this point. I was all set to order the blingmann at the end of the month, but then my oldest kegerator started going on the fritz. I have the refrigeration repair guy coming tomorrow to get my big commercial refrigerators online, so the old kegerator will be replaced. But now I'm thinking that 7 kegs aren't enough. Watching keg prices, even just in the last 3 months, they are climbing. I'm leaning towards picking up a pair of kegs and some little odds and ends rather than getting the hop back now. As I type this I'm convincing myself more and more that kegs are more important. Now to find a good deal on some that won't cost me an arm, leg, and my first born in freight.

BTW, I'm using a counterflow chiller right now, but should be moving to Houston soon, so I've been shopping around for plate chillers. I'll probably find myself in Keg Cowboy's front door if I do move, picking one up.
Sound like you made your decision Man..maybe I need more kegs!

Quick Reply