New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Squam Lakes Brewery with Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #121
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer View Post
Walker
We got the float switch and the complete conversion from Brewmation.
If you are going electric you want the float switch. 10-20 seconds and you fry the elements
Yeah, thay's why I want one. I have looked around a little, but can't find any that can handle the temps, let alone one with food safe mayterials/construction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #122
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Walker
When i get back from China next week i will look and see if i can get a manfacture off the ones we use. someone out there must have used these things

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #123
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just want to give a brief update on the status of Squam Brewing. I have been selling beer commercially since August 2nd, and so far things have been going well. My first beer, the Asquam Amber Ale, has been selling out of stores regularly and I'm having trouble keeping up with demand. My next beer, the Halcyon Steamer Stout, should be available in stores this coming Monday. This will be followed shortly by my Golden IPA. You can view pictures of the labels at my website, www.squambrewing.com. I have a couple more beers that will be coming fairly soon. There is an article in today's local paper on my brewery if any of you want to check it out http://www.laconiadailysun.com/LaconiaPDF/2010/8/26L.pdf. If any of you HBTers are up in this area, shoot me an email and I can give you a tour.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #124
afalconc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default blichmann gun

hey man have you ever consider using a blickmann gun?? to fill the bottles, it is a lot easier to fill a bunch of bottles, especialy if you all ready have a condicioning tank.

by the way nice set up, cheers

Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #125
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afalconc View Post
hey man have you ever consider using a blickmann gun?? to fill the bottles, it is a lot easier to fill a bunch of bottles, especialy if you all ready have a condicioning tank.

by the way nice set up, cheers
If I was going to force carbonate my beers I would consider a blichmann beer gun, but with my current setup I see no reason to own one. I set the bottling wand inside a bottle and let it fill up while I cap the previous bottle. Then I take the full bottle and cap it while the next one is filling itself. So by myself I bottle at the same speed that two people normally go at. A beer gun would slow me down since I would have to hold it while filling, then set it down while bottling. All of my beers are bottle conditioned, so the main advantage of the beer gun is wasted on my setup. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's my take on it.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #126
smmcdermott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That article was awesome. Congrats man. A little disappointed they didn't mention your website in the article though, but that is great publicity.

Keep up the good work!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #127
wilceaser
Brewing Crash Test Dummy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very nice article, I applaud your entrepreneur sprit and wish you much success.

Howling Beagle Farmhouse Brewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
- You can't trigger an SSR with 120 volts - You'll let the smoke out.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #128
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats on successfully starting brewery. I live in Virginia and am considering setting up a 1bbl "nano" operation in a detached garage on my property. I have a few questions:

1) Did the TTB or other inspectors require you to alter the garage/barn in any way in order to conform to codes. For example, were you required to install ventilation or floor drains?

2) Does New Hampshire allow for self distribution or are you going through a distributor?

3) Any advise related to designing/modifying a detatched garage for use as a nano-brewery in order to get it passed inspection(s)?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #129
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest22 View Post
Congrats on successfully starting brewery. I live in Virginia and am considering setting up a 1bbl "nano" operation in a detached garage on my property. I have a few questions:

1) Did the TTB or other inspectors require you to alter the garage/barn in any way in order to conform to codes. For example, were you required to install ventilation or floor drains?

2) Does New Hampshire allow for self distribution or are you going through a distributor?

3) Any advise related to designing/modifying a detatched garage for use as a nano-brewery in order to get it passed inspection(s)?
Its great to hear you might be starting a nanobrewery in the near future! I wish you the best of luck. Now to answer your questions;

1) The TTB had me send them a bunch of pictures of the brewery. The only thing they made me alter was to replace the wooden door leading into the brewery with a metal door. This was for security reasons. The room already had a floor drain and we installed an exhaust fan before we applied to the TTB (boiling 45 gallons of liquid in an enclosed room pretty much requires it). The TTB no longer does inspections but relies on state inspectors. The TTB issued us our Brewer's Notice without any inspections. Later the state came to check out the brewery before they would give us our Beverage Manufacturer's License. They didn't ask us to alter anything, they just made us lease the driveway leading up to the barn to the LLC so that they would be able to do inspections without trespassing on private property.

2) New Hampshire does allow for self distribution. I'm not sure that I would have started a one barrel brewery if I had to go through a distributor, but maybe I still would have. Self distributing is very nice. Most of the stores that carry my beer are within 20 minutes of the brewery. I spend a bit of time and gas making deliveries, but I get to pocket the 30% markup that the distributors would have taken. An added benefit is that I have a personal relationship with the store owners. They call me when they need more product, and they hand me cash or a check when I make deliveries. They relay customer feedback to me, which is very helpful. If you can self distribute, I strongly recommend you go that route.

3) If I were you, I would design your brew shed to be a great nano-brewery. If it works great for you, than I don't see why you would have any trouble having it pass inspections. What makes a great nano-brewery? One that is easy to clean. Stainless surfaces are better than wood. A floor drain is almost a necessity. Walls that can be sprayed and wiped down. What you don't want is a cluttered, moldy, messy brewery. Maybe the inspectors won't care, but in the long run you'll only be doing yourself a favor by making it nice from the start. I would assume you're going to want to insulate it also to cut down on your heating costs.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #130
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jumbo, thanks for taking the time to provide such thorough responses to my questions.

The three-tier distribution paradigm we have here in Virginia is a pain, but its what I would have to deal with.

I'm looking at building a garage from the ground up so I would have the opportunity to construct it with a brewery in mind.

The floor drain is one of the things that has me puzzled. Because of the lay of the land where the garage would sit, I would really have to install a pump to pump the drainage back up to my house's sewage/water water drain lines. Also, I'm not even sure floor drains are permitted here in VA in residential settings due to concerns of people draining oil and chemicals into them. Thats something I will need to look into.

Anyway, thanks again and good luck.

Quick Reply