Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Spray painting my brew cart. Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
aekdbbop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Spray painting my brew cart. Need help

So, I just finished putting on a third coat of rustoleum high heat black spray paint on mynew cart. The paint is very flat. The problem is that the other coats seem to be rubbing off on my hand. I have let it dry for a day or two.

Is there something else I should be applying to this thing?anyone else use this stuff with any luck?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm, I have worked with it a few times to paint lighting instruments but I've never had it wipe off, I usually get good adhesion. Was the metal clean and dry and non-polished. I could see it scratching off a polished stainless cart if it wasn't at least sanded first. Could it just be dust from overspray?

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I assume your cart is made of steel. Did you use a primer? Did you follow the instructions on the can for your top coats? Some paints require that you apply the next coat within 2 hours or wait at least two days. If the second coats are applied at the wrong time it can cause the previous layer to bubble or peel off.

If the cart is steel the paint will not stick well if there is any oil on the steel. The oils can be very difficult to remove since it is down in the pores & grain of the metal and may take many passes scrubbing with a solvent soaked rag. It can be very annoying that you keep cleaning and rubbing but the rag continues to get oily/dirty. You just have to keep cleaning until you scrub & wipe and nothing else comes off. Once thoroughly clean you have to paint soon after as many steels rust very quickly once the protective layer of oil is removed.

Last edited by pilotdane; 01-12-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
FairWxBrewing
Recipes 

I had a similar issue when painting my rig.
I painted mine with flame proof paint made for headers and I had to cure it. After the paint was applied I used a kerosene jet heater to get the temp of the metal as hot as I could. Once I did that the paint didn't rub off and is very durable.

Tap 1 : Coffee Stout
Tap 2 :
Primary :
Secondary:
Bottled : Orange Blossom Mead, Choaked-Cherry Ale on Oak, The Nug Barleywine

Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I followed the instructions.. it said i didnt need a primer..

I may not have roughed it up quite as much as I should, it was pretty shiny

some of it is prolly just overspray dust.. but i had some just plain wipe off completely.. i may do some stress testing tonight...

Quick Reply