Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Spent Grains as Chicken Feed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
chickenandbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spent Grains as Chicken Feed?

Hey all
Just wondering if anyone has had any success drying spent grains and storing them to use as poultry feed. Also if anyone has comparative nutritional information on different kinds of brews (wheat beer vs straight barley for example) in regards to animal feed that would be great.
Really any advice on the subject of grains as feed would be helpful.
Trying to work on yet another way to utilize the by products of our favorite weekend activity!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i'm not sure about drying it down, but it would make excellent chicken feed.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Probably be great as fiber for them... Not sure if there will be any (or how much) nutrition left in the grain, depending on how well you mash...

A lot of people make dog treats out of the spent grains... Some have made bread with them (myself included) but it's as a flavor element. If you want to add it to what you give the chickens, go for it... I just wouldn't substitute it for their normal feed.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know my local brewery gives all of their spent grains to a local farmer for feed.

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
chickenandbeer
Recipes 

wow thanks for all the quick replies!
I know the mash process uses up most of the starches first, leaving a good amount of proteins intact. This is great for chickens and other livestock, though spent grains usually need to be supplemented with some sort of higher energy micronutrients.
I guess the real meat of what I'm asking is is people have ever successfully stored spent grains without a 5000 dollar tube dryer or acres and acres of direct sun...
Keep em comin though, this is great!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How much grain are we talking about? How often and how many chickens do you have? You could always vacuum pack bags of it and toss them into a freezer in a pinch... Unless you're talking about multiple sacks worth of grain a week, and you only have a handful of chickens...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Hethen57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I always feed my spent grain to the chickens....they love it. I don't dry it or anything, just throw it out like scratch and they love it. I also have to feed big piles to the goats and the sheep or they would break into the chicken pen to get at it. A friend of mine puts it out for deer in his backyard. He told me the deer now smell him brewing and wait out in his backyard...sure enough, when we were brewing at his house there was bunch of deer waiting across the creek for him to dump the grain. I'm not sure there is a ton of nutritional value left after you have washed the starch and sugar, but there must be enough left for them to enjoy it as a filler grain, and it still has some sweetness to it.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6202 Times on 5393 Posts
Likes Given: 772

I dump out my mash tun, spread it out on a thin layer on my driveway and let it cool down over night. I bag it in gallon ziploc bags, freeze it, and give it to my friend who has cthree hickens and a turkey. They love it. It's not their sole feed, but they go crazy for it. I get fresh eggs in return.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
sanch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A friend and i bolth bought chicks the same day. he fed his store bought feed ,i fed mine dried brewin waste with the store bought feed. the chicks are about three weeks old and there is allredy a big differance mine fed on brew waste are noticably larger than his, there fethers are fuller and they just look better all around. i highly recomend it although when they are young you dont want it to be their entire diet. at least thats what the breader said.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
terricksa
Recipes 

I feed mine my spent grains all the time. I even have guys in my club giving me their spent grains for the chickens. In return they get some eggs.

Quick Reply