Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sparge device question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
thenatibrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sparge device question

I am in the process of building my new single tier brew table!!! I will be using a 3 keg system and the mash tun will be direct fire and i want it to be recirculating the mash, it will have a false bottom. my question what type of set up do you guys us for your sparge device. and how did you make the connections. i think i am going to use the camlock quick disconnects from proflow. i have seen a copper ring on the inside of the mash tun that runs along the edge of the keg. is that the way to go or is there a better way? any help would be great, cheers.

-unknown monk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3227 Times on 3128 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Many on here have found that a simple short length of silicone hose works great. It will float on top of the mash, and is very easy to build and clean.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

This is my low tech cpvc solution:

I use nylon barb x garden hose thread fittings for the connections throughout my system. They are cheap, can handle the heat and they don't conduct much heat like metal fittings can. U.S. Plastics is my source.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

If you are going to fly sparge a piece of silicone tubing as a sparge device is the least expensive and most elegant solution available and it works like a charm.

Guy

Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Chipster27
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
This is my low tech cpvc solution
That's awesome!

Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
If you are going to fly sparge a piece of silicone tubing as a sparge device is the least expensive and most elegant solution available and it works like a charm.
I fly sparge and the cpvc manifold gizmo functions as both a wort return for the RIMS and as a sparge water distribution manifold. The cost to put it together was about $10 including the wooden cross member. Not really what I would consider a budget buster. IMO elegance is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Bru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When fly-sparging there should be +-2" of water above the wort at all times. This means that it makes no difference how sparge water is added. Sprinkling sparge arms are over-engineered.
I originally used a copper manifold with slits cut in it which sprinkled the sparge water, I recently changed to a silicone tube (for sparge and RIMS return). My efficiency remained the same.
The $6000 SABCO system uses a silicone tube.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

You left out the very important IMO thing.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I fly sparge and the cpvc manifold gizmo functions as both a wort return for the RIMS and as a sparge water distribution manifold. The cost to put it together was about $10 including the wooden cross member. Not really what I would consider a budget buster. IMO elegance is very much in the eye of the beholder.
I agree it's not a budget buster but I still would not personally suggest something that cost $10 when it can be done as efficiently for half the cost (2 feet of 1/2" silicone tubing).

Guy

Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I agree it's not a budget buster but I still would not personally suggest something that cost $10 when it can be done as efficiently for half the cost (2 feet of 1/2" silicone tubing).
The apparatus I came up with is multi-purposed. The cross member not only supports the return manifold, but also the thermowell in the mash and the digital thermometer itself. The eye on the end of the cross bar holds the supply tubing in place. IOW, the $10 cost is spread out over the multiple uses, so it isn't all for just the cpvc thingy. It has been working well for me for quite a long time. Not that the silicone tubing alone would not suffice, as I am sure it would. I'm sure Sabco would not be doing it that way if it didn't. It's just that IMO there's more than one way to do it. At one time I used a rotating whirlygig thingy, but I felt that I was loosing too much heat sprinkling the water through the air with nothing to gain whatsoever. I circulate the wort at a fairly high rate and laying the tubing on the surface didn't work out well for me as it created some channeling and disruption of the grain bed. It worked just fine when sparging as the flow rate was very slow. I circulate the wort as fast as possible during the mash. I would never insist that my method is the best. IMO, that's something only the brewer can decide for himself. As with most of this ****, there's no one size fits all.

Quick Reply