Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sparge arm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
wegz15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default Sparge arm

So after about a year of brewing I am tired of standing over my MLT with a slotted spoon during the sparge. Does anyone know of any good tutorials for a diy sparge arm?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I was in your shoes last fall. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I bought a new HLT, and converted my old homemade false bottom manifold into a sparging manifold.

The old false bottom was a square pattern of copper piping with holes punched on one side. I turned it upside down, moved some pieces around, and soldered some to others so it wouldn't come apart. I replaced the four elbows with tees and extended the sides a bit to rest on top of my MLT also.

Now I just hook up my HLT via 3/8 hosing to the new sparging manifold, controlling the flow with the ball valve, and I couldn't be happier! Once I find the equilibrium (HLT flow out = MLT flow out) I can "set and forget." I don't have pictures yet, but I plan on taking some soon. If you're lost, let me know and that might persuade me to take them sooner.

Cheers,
TB

1. Oktoberfest 2. Oktoberfest 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Cali Common, IPA, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout x2

Old 05-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
wegz15
Recipes 

Not gonna lie... I've read it a couple of times and I'm lost. You're losing me with the HLT and the MLT flowing from one to the other... I use a cooler to mash and lauter.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
wegz15
Recipes 

Yep I'm an idiot... got it... one is filled with sparge water... sorry been working since yesterday morning... I'm ready to go home.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it's also for fly sparging

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 05-08-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
hfd73
Recipes 

I don't use a sparge arm, just a piece of foil with a bunch of holes in it set on the grain bed. I let my hose from the HLT set on top and sparge slowly. Works like a charm, but still it would be cool to show off a fancy sparge arm.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegz15 View Post
So after about a year of brewing I am tired of standing over my MLT with a slotted spoon during the sparge. Does anyone know of any good tutorials for a diy sparge arm?
Ha,Ha.

This imply s you know the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegz15 View Post
Yep I'm an idiot... got it... one is filled with sparge water... sorry been working since yesterday morning... I'm ready to go home.
This following your first post says, you are not fit to drive a vehicle. At all.

You be safe brother.

Now, on topic.
I have found my favorite sparge device I ever built is a spray nozzle. The kind used for washing off things like potatoes on conveyors. It gives a fan type pattern like a spoon under running water.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd73 View Post
I don't use a sparge arm, just a piece of foil with a bunch of holes in it set on the grain bed. I let my hose from the HLT set on top and sparge slowly. Works like a charm, but still it would be cool to show off a fancy sparge arm.
I agree...I actually use the top from a sour cream container...works perfectly

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had some spare 3/8" copper tubing lying around. I used tube bending springs to fit the tubing around the cooler top of my MLT. I thin drilled a series of 1/8" holes at varying angles around the tubing. Once I got the tubing level I got a nice gentle shower effect and have been hitting my gravity numbers without any problems.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hasn't it been proven that if you maintain an inch or two above the surface of the grain bed that just having a hose float on the top is sufficient (blichmann autosparge) and that sprinklers/drippers etc lose a lot of temp?
I primarily Batch sparge but I read too much.

Quick Reply