Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sous Vide made easy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Sous Vide made easy

Inspired Revvy's easy made sous vide cooker , I put together a cooker fast and cheap.
I already had a fermentation temp. controller and a 48qt. cooler plus a few other odd and ends to complete the cooker.

Here is the extra gear I purchased to complete the cooker.
Two NORPRO 559 Immersion Heaters and a Fusion Air Pump 500 Aquarium Air Pump

Out of the cartons.

To test it out I went simple. 1' of 1-1/4" blow off tubing, a 90º SS elbow, a 4" long piece of acrylic tubing and 4' of aquarium air tubing.

The elbow weights one side down and air keeps the other end at an angle to create the pumping action.

It's best to boil a pot of water to add and speed things up unless you have time to wait on the temp to build. Testing the heating time I started out at 106º and it took a little over half an hour to get to 138º.

A couple of New York strips were the first victims and they turned out superb. Notice I turned the pump tube around to get better flow against the heating elements. Note: I did keep the top closed during cooking.

After one hour at 138º, medium rare, they are ready to come out.

Out of the bath.

Torches ain't just for welding.

Bon appetit.

I plan on making a float for the cup heaters and maybe a hinge mechanism for the air/water pump. This can be used in just about any size cooler. The smaller the better. I used the 48qt cooler just to see how well it would work and it passed with flying colors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply