Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Some questions about 80/20 for a stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

• You don't need a 220 welder.
  • buy a GOOD welding helmet (not from Harbor Freight!)
  • .065 Tube is adequate but .125 is much easier for a novice to weld but almost double the price
  • tube height is an important factor often overlooked. 1x2 tube has the same load capabilities as 2x2 when turned on edge
  • Use large diameter wheels (4")
  • the welder is not the only thing you need to build a stand. There is consumables, chop saw, right angle grinder, sanding discs, grinding discs, clamps, gloves, etc.
  • building stands can be fun, but make sure you know what you are getting yourself in to

here's a list of steel suppliers near you: http://www.philadelphiabusinesslist....ific/Steel.htm
(tube steel is often listed by dimension and not gauge)

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #22
worstbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy View Post
  • You don't need a 220 welder.
  • buy a GOOD welding helmet (not from Harbor Freight!)
  • .065 Tube is adequate but .125 is much easier for a novice to weld but almost double the price
  • tube height is an important factor often overlooked. 1x2 tube has the same load capabilities as 2x2 when turned on edge
  • Use large diameter wheels (4")
  • the welder is not the only thing you need to build a stand. There is consumables, chop saw, right angle grinder, sanding discs, grinding discs, clamps, gloves, etc.
  • building stands can be fun, but make sure you know what you are getting yourself in to

here's a list of steel suppliers near you: http://www.philadelphiabusinesslist....ific/Steel.htm
(tube steel is often listed by dimension and not gauge)
Wow thanks! So should I perhaps build the stand using 1x2 tube on edge? or just certain parts of it? I'll keep the wheels in mind, though I'm not positive I'm going to bother putting wheels on it at all, we'll see how annoyed I get when moving it I suppose. I have considered the other tools, etc involved, my buddy says he has everything we'll need for cutting it, etc. but appreciate the reminder
Thanks for the suppliers, not sure how I didn't find that when searching, but I was mostly using Google Maps so that could be part it it. Thanks again!

Primary: Empty :(
Brewing soon: Munich Dunkel

Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 78

OneHoppyGuy is right though. You''ll go through a bunch of grinding wheels first learning to weld (make a crappy weld, grind it down and start over). Flap disc's aren't cheap either, but neccesary if looking to make a nice stand. Go on craigslist and look for a mig welder. I've had experience with my father's Lincoln. It was quite nice, and on a rolling card. Keep in mind you'll need argon (if you pick up a shielded mig) and the spool wire. And you'll most likely need an assload of c-clamps. help to keep things square. Good pair of gloves help. The list will go on.

Find a local welding supply company. I'm sure they can tell you where the local steel yard is.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2689947226.html

Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #24
worstbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I've been rethinking my stand a bit and would appreciate any critiquing anyone can offer. The sketchup model is here: http://www.worstbrewing.com/images/brewhouse/30-gallon/

This is showing 30 gallon kettles (bayou classic on either end, blichmann in the middle) on top of the stand which is 16" tall. I'm a little concerned it may be a little short but haven't had issues priming my march pumps at similar heights before, so I just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on anything else I may have missed. The kettles are a bit big, as shown in the sketches they hang over the edges slightly but I don't think that should be a problem (or is it?). One more thing I'm curious about is how well will the burners vent exhaust in this design? is there anything i can modify to better help that perhaps? or is it a non-issue? Sorry, probably over-thinking this as usual but just trying to finalize the dimensions so I can start buying the steel, etc. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 AM   #25
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

are you sold on your march pump? my LG's work pretty good, don't worry about the prime as much. Since you'll be learning to weld on this, I'd go with black pipe for the gas rail. I sure as hell wouldn't be welding up the gas beam my first time out (that is on the Brutus 10 clone plan). YMMV.

Where are you going to put this? This sucker is going to be pretty heavy. I can't remember the user's name (and frankly I'm a bit too lazy at almost midnight), but there is a single tier design in this subforum that had wheels (I think they were pneumatic), and the other end was just the legs with a handle on the end of the tier. Will at least allow you to move it around on your own. I think that would be pretty good to incorporate into the design.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #26
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

PLEASE!!!! Do not do a gas beam!!! This is not safe!!!
Mig welds are porous. There is no way for the hobby welder to guarantee those welds AND the square tubing is not designed for that purpose.
This is one item we will NOT build for customers.
AS for wheels, you will want them... 4"

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

And on that large of a scale, I would think you would want to incorporate some type of heavy duty tippy dump. Unless you have a better way of getting grain out of a 30 gal MLT.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
worstbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just for the record, sorry if my diagrams appear otherwise but I actually haven't planned out the plumbing for the gas yet and wasn't planning to gas beam. I know a few plumbers who are on board for helping with plumbing with pipe, so I'll most likely go that route anyway. Thanks for the concern though

As for wheels, I'm still debating it a bit, as this will be used in my garage, which is basically being converted to the brewery entirely, so it won't need to move very much, if ever really. The main challenge with the stand is I'm fairly short (5'5") so I want to make sure I'm still able to dough in easily, etc so I'm trying to keep the stand height down where possible.

Regarding tippy dump, I'd love to for the same reasons but feel like that might be a little above my abilities for my first stand. On the flip side, I can only lift so much at a time so I'm planning to use the shop vac method and just suck out 5 gallons at a time, since it'll be easier to transport smaller amounts that way. I'm sure it'll get old eventually, but for now I'm guessing it would be a way to get by at least.

My main reason for wanting to jump to 30 gallon, honestly, is that's the long term goal anyway, so I'm just thinking if I'm going to buy a Blichmann Boilermaker, I may as well buy the one that I'll need last, even if I use it to only make 10-20 gallon batches for a little while. I know, its a bit overkill, but I'm assuming using it for a RIMS setup it shouldn't make a big difference in heat loss, etc. at that size. But, as always, any feedback is appreciated Thanks!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #29
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My stand sits taller than yours, but my pots are shorter than yours as well. That said, I also store my pots under the burners on a shelf. My wife has the same height restrictions as you have though! So the top of the stand couldn't be taller than 30", so that once the BK was on top, my wife could see inside without needed to get on a step stool.

That said, do you have any other hobbies? Work on cars? Woodworking? anything else? Obviously it's up to you, but I would think at a minimum you'd want two wheels on this guy. you never know when you're going to need to move it. And while it doesn't look that large now, once you weld up that frame it'll be pretty hefty.

I hear you on the jump to 30 gal, and makes sense. No use in trying to offload other equip later on. I guess you need to figure out how often you're going to be brewing, and what you are going to do with that spent grain. I would think the shop vac route will kill your shop vac pretty quick, not to mention get old pretty quick too. Check with some of the other guys that have large setups (annasdadhockey has a good sized one). See what they do. Might give you some good ideas.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
worstbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's basically the main issue, I would rather prefer to be able to do everything without a stool or ladder. Perhaps with this design, 30 gallon is something I should put on the "back burner" so to speak, and just stick with 10-20 gallon batches for now.

As for other hobbies, not much that is useful to our garage. I'll see if I can get some dimensions, but my car doesn't even fit, and SWMBO's car fits but you can't comfortably get out of the car unless you're climbing out the window basically. Supposedly the previous owners parked a car in there, but be damned if I can figure out how. As it stands currently, we just store stuff in it but the majority of the space is unused. There's a room in our basement that I was gonna convert to the brewery originally, but its going to be much more of a hassle to do that, so I've decided to make use of the garage. The basement room is actually where I store all of my brewing stuff now, but was intended for use as a small tool room/workshop, so I plan to use that for any other small hobby stuff. I agree, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add wheels so its easier to move if/when I do decide to, but again, I'm trying to figure out how to keep the height down while still making it fairly functional, etc. I guess I could take off the legs below the lower half of the stand and replace those with wheels though, shouldn't change too much.

I do imagine it'll be a pain to remove and dispose of that much grain, especially since I don't have any good place for composting or otherwise. It does make me rethink the 30 gallon idea and perhaps just sticking with 20 gallon. I suppose at that point if I really want more of a certain batch I can always just do back-to-back 15 gallon batches or something.

EDIT: Something else I just considered, slightly unrelated... I was just planning to pick up 3 BG-14 burners, but is a BG-14 gonna be overkill, even for a 20-30 gallon mash tun? Any recommendations instead?

Quick Reply