Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Solid strut single tier build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #61
rbwduece
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Clean build.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #62
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellis007 View Post
Hey lpdjshaw...really nice build. I've been subbed to this thread for awhile and have finally decided I'm going to build my own. Everything is in my shopping cart but before I press "Order"...any changes you would recommend? I'm sure you've had opportunity to brew on this rig and just wondered if there's anything you'd do differently with the stand now that you've had a chance to use it.
Thanks,
Pete
Sorry, just saw this, haven't been on in awhile. Anyways, probably the only thing I'd change would be to build it a little shorter (I can still shorten it though, just too lazy right now). I wasn't sure at the time whether I was going to go with 15 or 20 gal kettles so I went with the longer frame to accommodate wider kettles. I'm still planning on making a gas manifold and mounting that on the frame as well as mounting my water filter.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #63
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdjshaw View Post
the only thing I'd change would be to build it a little shorter

I would have to agree with this, especially if you are using keggles. I cut my strut to pretty much the exact same dimensions as lpdjshaw and even gave him credit in my thread. But I thought it was a little to high. Then my wife wondered out into the garage when I was mocking up the stand (after it was assembled with casters installed) and she could not see inside the keggles, now she is only like 5'4". I basically cut the legs down to a height where she could peak over the top and inspect the product with out being on her toes or step ladder. I think I eventually took about 4" off the height making my legs 20" instead of the 24". Yeah it was an extra cut and yeah the stand was already assembled but that's the great thing about strut, when you want to make a change you can!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #64
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the reply and input lpdjshaw and Daves69. My strut order shipped today so I haven't started the build yet. I'll definitely take your advice to go a little shorter. Having it too tall kinda defeats the purpose of single tier. I was thinking with casters installed that it may be a little tall. I'll be using boil kettles instead of keggles so they should be a little lower profile also. Thanks both for your input...I can't wait to get this build started. I'll be sure to snap some photos of the progress.

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Cream Ale

Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #65
Corby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

This is beautiful. I had never even thought about building a stand with struts. When I get ready to build a stand, this may be the way I do it. Thanks OP!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #66
RScottyL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corby View Post
This is beautiful. I had never even thought about building a stand with struts. When I get ready to build a stand, this may be the way I do it. Thanks OP!
If you decide to go this router, check out this thread:

My Weldless Build With 1 5/8" Strut

That thread has information using non-solid strut, but it would be the same as this thread!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #67
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Any downside to going super low? I'm thinking 16" off the ground. Enough to gravity feed the pumps but low enough so that I'm looking down into the kettles.

I love this design. Pretty sure this will be the way I go. Just don't see the benefit of height anymore than to be able to feed the pumps. Could I go lower than 16"?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #68
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Any downside to going super low? I'm thinking 16" off the ground. Enough to gravity feed the pumps but low enough so that I'm looking down into the kettles.

I love this design. Pretty sure this will be the way I go. Just don't see the benefit of height anymore than to be able to feed the pumps. Could I go lower than 16"?

Your going to be doing allot of bending over at 16" to the bottom of your kettles. My stand is 29.5" to the bottom of my keggles and it's that height because my wife is 5'2" and she wanted to be able to see inside the converted sankey keggle. She can see down them so unless your very little and I am not being mean but 16" sounds way low.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #69
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves69 View Post
Your going to be doing allot of bending over at 16" to the bottom of your kettles. My stand is 29.5" to the bottom of my keggles and it's that height because my wife is 5'2" and she wanted to be able to see inside the converted sankey keggle. She can see down them so unless your very little and I am not being mean but 16" sounds way low.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
I have you beat in the short wife dept but I doubt my wife cares if she can see into the kettles. lol

Guess I won't go as low as 16" but maybe around 26", I'll get a tape measure out and compare to other stuff before I commit to anything.

My kettle currently sits on a KAB4 and that thing isn't too far off the ground, not too much of an issue. I have a 20G Blichmann and it's 20" tall.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #70
wanger99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Just got mine built. BG14s go on this weekend. Was an easy 3 hour cut and build.

1396932532812.jpg   1396932547740.jpg   1396932561697.jpg   1396932582748.jpg   1396932596576.jpg  

PRIMARY #1: Revolution Brewing Anti-Hero Clone
PRIMARY #2: IMPERIAL STOUT
PRIMARY #3: Rye IPA
PRIMARY #4: Rye IPA
PRIMARY #5: COLGNE KOLSCH

SECONDARY #1: EMPTY
CONDITIONING: EMPTY
TAP #1: MIDWEST OATMEAL STOUT
TAP #2: THE EMPEROR IIPA
TAP #3: POPLAR PALE ALE
TAP #4: THREE AND OUT
Stealthcruiser Likes This