Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Solid strut single tier build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #21
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The burners/windscreens/grates are Camp Chef. They are stock units, I just cut the legs off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Do you know if the solid strut comes in stainless? I know some people are concerned about the galvanized coating burning off (toxic) and losing its anti-corrosion properties. Looks super sturdy, though. Great build!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

You could also high temp paint it right?

On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
You could also high temp paint it right?
There's no high temp paint that won't burn off under direct flame, and then you're back down to bare metal.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Do you know if the solid strut comes in stainless? I know some people are concerned about the galvanized coating burning off (toxic) and losing its anti-corrosion properties. Looks super sturdy, though. Great build!
Yes, I have mine cut and am waiting on more funds to complete my rig.

Also, even if you paint over galvanized the zinc will cook and melt under the paint making both come off with various drawbacks.

Still, like the OP said, he is basically planning this on being a stand that he will use until gets a welded stainless stand. Planned replacement...gets him brewing NOW.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
Yes, I have mine cut and am waiting on more funds to complete my rig.

Also, even if you paint over galvanized the zinc will cook and melt under the paint making both come off with various drawbacks.

Still, like the OP said, he is basically planning this on being a stand that he will use until gets a welded stainless stand. Planned replacement...gets him brewing NOW.
Where'd you get your stainless solid strut? I can only find the slotted stainless and solid galvanized on the website. I'm assuming they sell all stainless fittings and stuff too.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Where'd you get your stainless solid strut? I can only find the slotted stainless and solid galvanized on the website. I'm assuming they sell all stainless fittings and stuff too.
I ended up getting mine from a mom and pop electrical supply shop sort of close to me. I say sort of because a bad traffic jam cost me in gas all i saved by finding it locally and going to pick it up.

The shop was so small that they gave me a deal just to get rid of all of their last remaining product; 5 10' sticks. This is turning out to be more than I needed for this project but I will find something to use the extra strut for.

I have seen good prices on the internet at places like here.

Stainless Steel Strut

This is more than I paid but it is still reasonable. You can probably find SS tubing for cheaper but you would need to learn to weld or hire a welder so this is a good, cost effective solution for non-welders. Looking at the maximum weight charts this can EASILY handle the loaded of a 3 vessel 15 gallon set up as long as you design it intelligently. Longer single tier set ups may require a support column like the Brutus 10 plans have in it (although this material would bear that weight at that size of a rig without the support column).

Good luck with your rig.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #28
bigtex52
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Subbed

Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
I ended up getting mine from a mom and pop electrical supply shop sort of close to me. I say sort of because a bad traffic jam cost me in gas all i saved by finding it locally and going to pick it up.

The shop was so small that they gave me a deal just to get rid of all of their last remaining product; 5 10' sticks. This is turning out to be more than I needed for this project but I will find something to use the extra strut for.

I have seen good prices on the internet at places like here.

Stainless Steel Strut

This is more than I paid but it is still reasonable. You can probably find SS tubing for cheaper but you would need to learn to weld or hire a welder so this is a good, cost effective solution for non-welders. Looking at the maximum weight charts this can EASILY handle the loaded of a 3 vessel 15 gallon set up as long as you design it intelligently. Longer single tier set ups may require a support column like the Brutus 10 plans have in it (although this material would bear that weight at that size of a rig without the support column).

Good luck with your rig.
Many thanks, I actually ended up finding it on Grainger but the pricing was ridiculous ($32/ft). Also have a quote request into a local metal supplier for 2" 11ga stainless tube stock, cut. The Platt pricing looks great- shipping could be a killer though.

I'm building a much larger system though, 3bbl, so I'll need more strut and will definitely need to check to see if it will bear the weight I need.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The strut will support a 3bbl system if you build in support columns to help with the load. It really is every bit as strong as 11 ga tubing.

Platt has locations for pick up, but nothing in SoCal.

Locations

I want to like Grainger...but they ALWAYS kill me on the price.

Good luck with your Nano brewery. Post something when you have it.

Quick Reply