Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Solenoid Valve (Wiring and Protection)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
TriangleIL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Solenoid Valve (Wiring and Protection)

Hey all,

I need some help/advice. I have some solenoid valves that require 24VAC, requiring 22 Watts. These

Anyways, I have a 24VAC, 200VA transformer I plan to use to power these. My plan was to run the wires from the transformer, into a terminal strip, and then through each of the switches directly to the valves.

Questions, do I need to worry about over current? Should I have a fuse between the switch and the valve? If necessary, I assume the fuses should be slow-blow? Do I need to worry about the momentary amperage requirement? Should I put a capacitor in line prior to the valves? Anything else I should know?

Sorry for the noobish questions, I'm barely making my way with all this electrical stuff

Bottled: Empty
Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
lincoln
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleIL View Post
...Questions, do I need to worry about over current? Should I have a fuse between the switch and the valve?
Yes, depending on the transformer* one between the 110v side. You can but not really needed. for a 220va i would say 3 amp would be the max, i would pick the smallest value that would let you turn on all the valves.

rough numbers would be 22va / 110v = .2 amp per valve

.2 * number of valves * 1.5~1.25 nuisance trip factor = fuse size

this dose not account for transformer eff and some other things but some where between .5 amp and 2.5 should be good

* I say depending cause in my mind a can see two types, one with wires on both ends an another with a plug hard wired into a housing with wires on the out.

Quote:
If necessary, I assume the fuses should be slow-blow? Do I need to worry about the momentary amperage requirement?
slo blow are a good choice.

Quote:
Should I put a capacitor in line prior to the valves?
no, if you get into automation we can deal with inductive kick later.

Quote:
Anything else I should know?
always,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply