New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #971
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

This stuff I used says 'all metals except aluminum' and specifically calls out stainless.

forumrunner_20120904_195355.jpg

I'd still do the Harris between the two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #972
navmatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just a little heads up, at Airgas, Harris Stay-Brite & Stay-Clean are now branded as Radnor. It's still from Harris.

My local Airgas had a pretty large display with several different sizes, I paid $14.17 for the kit, including at $3.75 hazmat charge.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #973
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by navmatt View Post
I paid $14.17 for the kit, including at $3.75 hazmat charge.
OMG! WTF $3.75 hazmat charge for what? I assume the 1 oz of liquid flux, as the solder is likely safe to eat? Good thing you got it now, any higher BS fees and no one would bother to carry it.

MSDS don't look so bad, but no expert here...
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop/MSDS/Stay%20Clean%20Liquid%20Soldering%20Flux.pdf

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #974
krazydave
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow. The same kit is $7.50 at the two Airgas locations near me.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #975
allclene
Beer, What a beautiful thing

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I baught mine online. It cost me more to ship than to buy it. But it works the best.

My Automated Rig Forum: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-system-build-need-input-348808/

Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #976
navmatt
Recipes 

I don't have to pay for a lot of the hazardous materials I dispose of, so I don't mind a fee now and then. I've decided that pricing at Airgas is determined by who helps you, I've paid multiple different prices for CO2 exchanges at the same store.

Soldering was a success:

Keggle holding water:

Old 09-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #977
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navmatt View Post
I don't have to pay for a lot of the hazardous materials I dispose of, so I don't mind a fee now and then.
OK man...sorry wasn't pointing at you, just trying to expose the state tax collectors and their rediculous fes IMO...

Nice job w/ the solder...looks great!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #978
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ok I built my 'keg tool' and made a dimple in the side of the keg. I'm at the point that I have to get serious about acetone/flux/solder.

Q1: How important is it to clean the edge of the hole and the coupler with acetone first?

Q2: I'm planning to use 220 grit sandpaper on the dimple and a strip of sandpaper to rough-up a stripe around the middle of the coupler where I want it to match-up. Is 220 good?

Q3: Some posts on here claim that a propane torch will get hot enough so I don't need to spend the $20 on a yellow-bottle (MAPP?) torch. Will propane work? I really don't want to get flux on there, solder all in-place, blasting it all with propane...and nothing happens.

Q4: To clean-up the black marks afterwards, I just use more flux, right?

Q5: What do acetone and flux do to bare skin? I plan to use normal household-cleaning yellow latex gloves... is that enough?

Q6: Is there anything else I need to know/do before I sand/set the coupling, cut the solder to-fit, and blast away at the coupling until the solder melts?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #979
Huaco

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
Ok I built my 'keg tool' and made a dimple in the side of the keg. I'm at the point that I have to get serious about acetone/flux/solder.

Q1: How important is it to clean the edge of the hole and the coupler with acetone first?

Q2: I'm planning to use 220 grit sandpaper on the dimple and a strip of sandpaper to rough-up a stripe around the middle of the coupler where I want it to match-up. Is 220 good?

Q3: Some posts on here claim that a propane torch will get hot enough so I don't need to spend the $20 on a yellow-bottle (MAPP?) torch. Will propane work? I really don't want to get flux on there, solder all in-place, blasting it all with propane...and nothing happens.

Q4: To clean-up the black marks afterwards, I just use more flux, right?

Q5: What do acetone and flux do to bare skin? I plan to use normal household-cleaning yellow latex gloves... is that enough?

Q6: Is there anything else I need to know/do before I sand/set the coupling, cut the solder to-fit, and blast away at the coupling until the solder melts?

Thanks!
1) VERY IMPORTANT
2) I used 180 metallurgical sandpaper so your 220 should be ok.
3)I used MAPP Gas for all of mine. I blow the flame directly up the center of the coupler until the flux boils. I then pull the torch to the outside and heat just the rim of the fitting with the flame until the heat builds up and puddles the solder. Make sure the fitting is in a position so that the solder puddles equally about the fitting. and not run off to the side.
4)I did two keggles for a buddy just yesterday. I noticed quite by accident that Acetone cleans up the brown solder QUITE WELL!
5)I have done 5 keggles without wearing any gloves... I am careful and don't get the flux on my skin. Acetone won't hurt you, (Unless you have an open cut on your finger like I have... Then it HURTS LIKE HELL!)
6)I take a measurement of my fitting and dimple through stages to JUST UNDER (about .005") the diameter of the coupler (checked with calipers). This way, I can draw the coupler through the dimple and make a MUCH better mechanical press fit.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #980
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I believe lots of people use propane w/ the silver solder. Acetone is nail polish remover, so I would be extra careful if you have a fresh manicure. The flux is acidic, I would try and avoid skin contact...oh the fumes from the flux is the main hazard AFAIK???

flux info... http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop/MSDS/Stay%20Clean%20Liquid%20Soldering%20Flux.pdf

Quick Reply