Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Are you using Stay Brite #8? The more silver content, the bigger gaps it will bridge. If you still have trouble, You can fill in some of that space by wrapping some stainless wire so it lays in the threads on the nipple.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #662
wardenwheat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Anyone have their coupling fail with direct heat???? Thinking of having my bottom couplers tig welded in my kegs and soldering the rest. Comments??

Awesome thread!!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #663
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenwheat View Post
Anyone have their coupling fail with direct heat???? Thinking of having my bottom couplers tig welded in my kegs and soldering the rest. Comments??

Awesome thread!!
That cannot happen (solder failure) as long as there is fluid (water) above the level of the soldered connection.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #664
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

^^What he said^^ Have you ever tried to solder a waterline with just a few drops of water left in it? I suppose if you were too worried you could snag some of Bobby M's Heat Shields when he gets them finished up, that would certainly reduce the amount of heat on the couplings.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #665
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I wonder about that, though. Is the heat transfer from the outside of the keg (where the fire is) to the inside (where the water is) fast and efficient enough to prevent this from ever being an issue? I'm just thinking of when I cool off my wort; sometimes I'll run the waste water from the chiller over the bottom part of the keggle, and that mo'fo will steam and sizzle like nobody's business - a lot more than I would expect if the outside of the keg was only 212°. It'll keep steaming for ten or fifteen seconds; if the keg's exterior was only a little over 212°, you wouldn't expect it to steam up so aggressively and for so long.

If the temperature of the keg's exterior was being fully kept in check by the liquid inside, I wouldn't expect that huge "WHOOSH" of steam when I run the waste water over it.

With that said, I've never heard of a soldered joint FAILING. I'm just not convinced that the heat transfer within the keggle is efficient enough to keep the whole keg at essentially the wort's boiling point.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #666
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Stay-Brite solder has a melting point of 430F (MSDS) so you can extrapolate from there. Does the outside of your kettle get to 400 degrees under normal operation? I suppose anything is possible but I seriously doubt it gets that hot unless you have concentrated flame directly on the fitting.

I'd imagine that my polycarbonate sight glass would melt before a soldered fitting would become liquid again, the polycarbonate I use has an operating temp max of 250F.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #667
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think the very bottom roll of a converted keg boil kettle will get to around 400-500F because it takes some time for the heat to travel up the 4" or so to get to the liquid inside. The bulkheads are a lot closer to the liquid and might see 240-250F. No way you're desoldering those things without a ton of misuse like a full flame run-dry.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #668
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I think you're probably right, but it'd be really interesting (and easy) for someone with an infrared thermometer to test out.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #669
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenwheat View Post

Awesome thread!!
I've had my silver solder joints fail from mechanical torsion more than heat. The BK with it's valve and T sticking out failed first since it was getting torqued while cleaning as well as the MT valve for the same reason. MY HLT seemed to survive the best. I was tired of cleaning and reflowing the cracked silver solder joints and finally just cleaned them all up and had them TIGd. Just my experience YMMV.

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #670
bajabrewer7
Recipes 

Why do we have to make the dimple? Couldn't I just solder a coupling on a tight hole?

Quick Reply