Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #1281
lorglath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The kettles I got were either this, or extremely similar.

This is the solder I used

This is the Flux I am using.

The die is a 1" ID threaded coupler I got from Menards.

I also have some pics... I will try that cold solder technique... and have a few questions on another hole... but I will first add pics for the holes in question.

Here is one of the problem childs...

Bottom with the tear...

View from the inside... uncleaned yet

Here is my next issue... the first hole I did was FANTASTIC! except after the solder had reflowed... I moved the pot too quickly causing the solder to run all over... I add more solder and reheated it, but I didn't add more flux.. I believe I caused a bad joint... Can I fix this by adding more flux around the spot and then just reflowing it one more time?

Outside - looks pretty

inside (out of focus, sorry) - you can see it is a rounder bead rather than laying flat

My Keezer build here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #1282
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

How big of a hole did you start with? I started with a 7/8" hole and it worked perfect.

What kind of heat source are you using? I didn't get that much discoloration of the stainless or burning of the flux around the joint.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #1283
lorglath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I started with a 7/8" hole, but the greenlee punch for some odd ass reason leaves a little cut out on the edge, not a perfect circle :-/ I am a bit disappointed with the performance, all my other greenlee punches are great.. not sure what's wrong with this one...

Also, I think the metal in the pot is simply too thin or brittle to work properly...

I have been doing the cold soldering to fix the joints and they are looking great... just gotta keep going slow I guess.

My Keezer build here

Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #1284
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Might a slightly larger receiving die not create such a sharp bend at the dimple and be less prone to cracking?

Some of the other dimples posted here seem more gradual and not as abrupt. As if the outer part against the pot is slightly larger diameter,

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #1285
lorglath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Might a slightly larger receiving die not create such a sharp bend at the dimple and be less prone to cracking?

Some of the other dimples posted here seem more gradual and not as abrupt. As if the outer part against the pot is slightly larger diameter,
Worth a shot!

My Keezer build here

Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #1286
phasevariable
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorglath View Post

Also, I think the metal in the pot is simply too thin or brittle to work properly...
From your description, you have had several problem pulls. Are the tears always nearest to the bottom of the kettle?

If so, could the proximity of the hole to the bottom of the kettle play a part? I imagine that the area closest to the the bend receives more stress during the forming process and may have left the metal more susceptible to tearing.

Just my two cents.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #1287
bigtex52
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stainless steel has a tendency to work harden when sawing, drilling, filing, etc. Are you punching your 7/8" hole or drilling before drawing? I have had better luck drawing a dimple after drilling rather than punching. There are stresses induced when punching that don't seem to be when drilled with a step drill at a rapid rate.

On Tap: Ruthless Rye Clone
Next Brew Day: Christmas Porter

Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #1288
lorglath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbruw View Post
How big of a hole did you start with? I started with a 7/8" hole and it worked perfect.

What kind of heat source are you using? I didn't get that much discoloration of the stainless or burning of the flux around the joint.
I am new to this and was using way too much flux. I have watched some videos now and have been using much less, and heating the kettle more before applying heat to the coupler, which is resulting in much less discoloration. Also, in the pictures I hadn't cleaned the joints yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasevariable View Post
From your description, you have had several problem pulls. Are the tears always nearest to the bottom of the kettle?

If so, could the proximity of the hole to the bottom of the kettle play a part? I imagine that the area closest to the the bend receives more stress during the forming process and may have left the metal more susceptible to tearing.

Just my two cents.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Good Luck.
Nope, even when I do my 'water input' holes for the top of the kettle it splits. Tried with the larger coupler, and it still happened... but at the same time I was having another issue with my pulling bolt and nut... so I'm trying again once replaced tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex52 View Post
Stainless steel has a tendency to work harden when sawing, drilling, filing, etc. Are you punching your 7/8" hole or drilling before drawing? I have had better luck drawing a dimple after drilling rather than punching. There are stresses induced when punching that don't seem to be when drilled with a step drill at a rapid rate.
I drill a small pilot hole, then punch to 7/8. I tried using my step bit, but my step bit has worn down in several areas and it's very hard to grow the hole past those areas... again, when I was new to making the holes I didn't realize high pressure low speed was needed... pretty sure I cooked the damn thing (even using cutting oil).

My Keezer build here

Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #1289
OMJ
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lorglath

I have the same pots and in order to avoid tearing I started with a 15/16 hole. Makes for a smaller dimple but its plenty for soldering.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #1290
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for all that contributed. I added 4 full couplings between my HLT and MT this week. Showed them off to brew club friends when I brought my stuff out for our club teach a friend homebrew day. Everyone was very impressed.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Quick Reply