Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #1271
bigtex52
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone noticed any difference in difficulty in soldering the various alloys of stainless? (18/8 vs 316, etc.)

On Tap: Ruthless Rye Clone
Next Brew Day: Christmas Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #1272
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 943 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex52 View Post
Has anyone noticed any difference in difficulty in soldering the various alloys of stainless? (18/8 vs 316, etc.)
Not at all.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #1273
bigtex52
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thank, Bobby.

On Tap: Ruthless Rye Clone
Next Brew Day: Christmas Porter

Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #1274
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDatsun View Post
Ruby fluid is also a good flux fairly cheap also , muriatic acid will work . As much as some of you pay for flux and silver solder . Prob have it tig welded .
I paid $12 for my .5 oz stay bright flux and silver solder combo pack and I've dimpled and soldered 9 couplings between the kettle and HLT. I have more than enough solder and flux left to do the elements in both. I'm still on the same 14oz propane tank for my torch also. The dimple tool I used was <$20.

How much does tig welding cost? I've never looked into it.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #1275
lorglath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quick questions... I have been trying to solder my stainless pots but I am having an issue with the pot splitting. I have been using a punch, now at 7/8" and using a dimpler to grow it to 1" but it has been causing the pipe to split rather than just grow. After the pot split, sometimes in a few areas I still tried to solder everything... the hole soldered well, but where there are splits, the solder drips out rather than filling the holes... so I have two questions...

How do i fill the gaps where the solder initially bled through? I can likely re flux it, then just let the solder bead drip through it by melting it above the hole and hoping it stop, drys and sticks to the openings... other than that I am at a loss... use a soldering iron?

How can I grow the holes such that it doesn't split?! Should I warm the pot up before I try to use the expander? should I use a drill so there is a constant force? Should I get an even larger punch, say 15/16"?

My Keezer build here

Old 10-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #1276
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
How big is the hole? The large OD flat gasket might be the ticket if you're using an oring now.
I currently have a 1/2" ID NPT threaded nipple going through right now and there is too much space around the edges that the rubber gasket that is used, slips inside the hole, albeit a tight fit, but not water tight

Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #1277
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorglath View Post
Quick questions... I have been trying to solder my stainless pots but I am having an issue with the pot splitting. I have been using a punch, now at 7/8" and using a dimpler to grow it to 1" but it has been causing the pipe to split rather than just grow. After the pot split, sometimes in a few areas I still tried to solder everything... the hole soldered well, but where there are splits, the solder drips out rather than filling the holes... so I have two questions...

How do i fill the gaps where the solder initially bled through? I can likely re flux it, then just let the solder bead drip through it by melting it above the hole and hoping it stop, drys and sticks to the openings... other than that I am at a loss... use a soldering iron?

How can I grow the holes such that it doesn't split?! Should I warm the pot up before I try to use the expander? should I use a drill so there is a constant force? Should I get an even larger punch, say 15/16"?
Wow, that's unfortunate. Honestly, if you can't pull a 7/8 hole to 1", I don't think this method is viable for you. If you use a 15/16" hole and pull it to 1", that's only 1/32" contact patch. I suspect there may be too large of a gap between your mandrel and die for the thin-ness of your pot. What's the ID of your pulling die?
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #1278
lorglath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

This is the puller I am using.

When I put it through the hole made from the die, it makes it about a 1/2" through before meeting resistance, I do notice it doesn't want to pull straight through, which is telling me there is more stress on once side vs. another.

Any suggestions on how I can fill the holes left from these cracks? would pictures help?

My Keezer build here

Old 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #1279
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Are you using regular Harris stay brite or stay brite #8? The higher silver content of #8 will fill larger gaps. One trick is to get everything nice a clean again, flux, then cold solder over the hole. This isn't really ideal, but it will seal the holes just fine... Warm up the area where the hole is by applying direct flame right to it, remove the flame and see if you can get some solder to melt but just barely. Keep heating, trying, heating trying.... as soon as it kinda melts but sticks... apply the flame and feed solder in and remove the flame immediately. You're not trying to get the whole thing to reflow, just applying enough heat to the solder to use it as "putty".

I see what you're using as the puller... I'd call that part the mandrel... which is the object that forms the inside of the flare. The "die" side of the pulling tool could also be called the "receiver". I know it's confusing because you also make the hole with a punch and die... If you're using the pipe reducer as your mandrel, what are you using as the cup shaped die on the other side of the pot wall?

New Stuff?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #1280
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

That's the exact mandrel I used on all my dimples and it worked great on all my kegs. I used this as my die/receiver side.

Quick Reply